Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Help with Itinerary to NB, NS, PEI and Bar Harbor (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/help-with-itinerary-to-nb-ns-pei-and-bar-harbor-715632/)

caroline_traveller Jun 24th, 2007 09:01 AM

Help with Itinerary to NB, NS, PEI and Bar Harbor

Hi Everyone,

Your help will be greatly appreciated. We are planning a trip out east from Toronto and after reading many posts and articles online I am a little confused as to the route we should be taking. This is the route I have planned out but your input and suggestions would be a great help.

Fly to Moncton- 1 night in Moncton-Hopewell Rocks
Drive to PEI Overnight in PEI.
Drive to Cape Breton-2 nights in Cape Breton Staying in Anapolis I think the Keltic lodge, Drive the trail etc
Drive to Halifax 3 nights-Day Trip to Peggys Cove
Drive To Yarmouth? to take Ferry to Bar Harbor
Ferry back to Saint Johns and drive to Moncton for flight back home

or

Fly to Halifax
2 nights in Halifax day trip to Peggys Cove
Drive to Cape Breton- stay in Anapolis 2 nights
Drive to PEI Overnight
Drive to Moncton Overnight Trip to Hopewell Rocks
Drive to St Johns, NB Overnight
Ferry to Bar Harbor
Bar Har Barbor 2 nights
Drive to Halifax for flight home

Do you think this would work at all???
and where would I add in a visit to Newfoundland? I ahave orders a Trip Tik from CAA and some brochures from the NS Tourism Board.

Thanks!

Caroline

George Jun 24th, 2007 04:28 PM

Hi: I would be more than happy to comment on your itinerary however I have couple of questions: (1) Why do you want to travel to Bar Harbor? (2) How many total nights are you planning for this trip?
Also, as far as I know, a ferry operates between St. John NB and Digby NS. No ferry service between Bar Harbor ME and St. John NB.

Please advise.

Regards

caroline_traveller Jun 25th, 2007 03:24 AM

Hi,

Thank you for replying. We are planning about 14 days for the trip. We want to visit Bar Harbor because we have heard it was a great summer destination spot and seemed to be close enough for us to make a stop over. Where could we drive to Bar Harbor from?

Hope this information help. Looking forward to your response.

Caroline

LJ Jun 25th, 2007 10:46 AM

You CAN drive to Bar Harbour via NB (cross border at St. Stephen's/Calais, down the road to Ellesworth and up to Bar Harbour), but I actually thought it was a good idea to take the CAT over from Yarmouth.

The drive from Halifax to Yarmouth down the Lighthouse Route (the South Shore ) is absolutely lovely, winding as it does through Peggy's Cove, Chester, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg (a World Heritage Unesco site). Then on to Yarmouth and across. The CAT has only two downsides; it is pricey and it can be rather iffy for those who lack sailor's stamina in rough weather.

But Bar Harbour is a lovely wealthy,old-fashioned resort town that has re-invented itself for this century with excellent stores and great restaurants. It would be interesting to compare it to the Canadian counterparts. It is, IMHO, worth it if you have time to add it to your vacation.

George Jun 25th, 2007 11:42 AM

Hi: I have submitted a proposed itinerary but it involves eliminating a visit to Bar Harbor. Since you are flying into & out of Moncton or Halifax, I feel that Bar Harbor is too much of a detour.
As mentioned above, The CAT, between Yarmouth NS and Bar Harbor ME is pricey: 2 adults & auto will cost US $251.00 one way for the 3 hour trip. Also, I don't believe that The CAT operates in bad weather.

The following is a very tentative proposal:
Day 1 - Arrive Mocton. Visit Hopewell Rocks. Overnight.
Days 2 & 3 - Drive to PEI via Confederation Bridge. 2 nights. Visit beaches, gardens, shopping, etc.
Days 4-6 - Take ferry (75 mins.) from Wood Islands, PEI to Caribou NS. Drive to Baddeck(3) for 3 nights. 1 day on Cabot Trail, visit Fortress of Louisbourg, etc.
Days 7-9 - Take early ferry (0800/0900) from North Sydney NS to Port-aux-Basques NL, 5 hours, 2 adults & auto CAD $133.00 one way. Drive to Rocky Harbour (339 kms.) stay 3 nights.You will be in the middle of Gros Morne NP. 4 boat tours to choose from, interesting shops in area, a number of side trips.
Day 10 - Drive back to Port-aux-Basques. Side trip to Rose Blanche. Early ferry the next day from Port-aux-Basques to North Sydney. Drive to Halifax.
Days 11-13 - Stay in Halifax. Side trips to Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg. Halifax Citadel, Public Gardens, shopping, etc.
Day 14 - Return to Moncton.

If you have not done so, contact Nova Scotia Tourism at 800/565-000 and request the "Doers & Dreamers Guide". The Tourist Office for NL is at 800/563-NFLD, to request travel guide.

If you do decide to include Newfoundland & Labrador in your trip, visit the Marine Atlantic website: www.marine-atlantic.ca to first make your ferry reservations. Watever you do, do not plan to take this ferry without a reservation.

The above is offered to give you some ideas, however sketchy.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards.

caroline_traveller Jun 25th, 2007 11:55 AM

wow..thanks so much for all the information. A quick question..do you recommend then that we start the journey from Moncton instead of Halifax or does it really not matter as we could simply follow the itinerary just starting from Halifax? The reason I ask is that I believe we can get a better flight deal to Halifax than Moncton for the time we are planning to travel.

Also how long would you estimate the drive to be from Halifax to Moncton for our flight back home?

Thanks!

Tanya Jun 25th, 2007 03:29 PM

Halifax to Moncton - approx. 2 hours

George Jun 25th, 2007 03:35 PM

Hi: You can certainly start and end your trip in Halifax if the flights/fares are better. You can then either go to Newfoundland first and tour Cape Breton after your return to Nova Scotia or vice versa. I would probably drive from Halifax to North Sydney and spend the night there. I would recommend the Best Western. We have stayed at the "Clansman Motel" several times but it has gone downhill. This way you're less then a kilometer from the ferry dock for the early departure to Port-aux-Basques.

With regard to the drive from Halifax to Moncton. The Nova Scotia Tourist Office map says 2 hrs.30 mins (214 kms) from Halifax to Amherst NS. Moncton is another 42 mins. (71 kms.)

By the way, you will have the pleasure of driving one of the few toll roads in eastern Canada. Part of Route 104 between Amherst and Truro NS is a beautiful toll road. I think the toll was $4 last year. The only other toll road I remember is the one outside of Toronto that I took in 2005.

Feel free to send other questions.

Regards.

caroline_traveller Jun 25th, 2007 05:49 PM

Hi,

I am in the process of revamping schedule a bit because based on the information you gave me I think we are going to arrive Moncton and Depart Saint John NB. I will post the itinerary (at some point this week) and of you could review that would be greatly appreciated.

Just a couple of questions- I proposed leaving bar harbor out and goint to Nfld to the group and there was some hesitation however when I explained that it would be 45 minute drive to woods island, a 5 hour ferry ride and then about a 4 hour drive(339km), it was a no go. Too much travel time for one day...so my question to you is...Is there a closer area to Port Aux Basques that we would be still be great to visit...perhaps 1 hour drive maximum???

What are your thoughts on the following hotels/BB's:
Moncton-Delta Moncton
PEI- Delta Charlettown or Shipwright Inn
Baddeck-Silver Dart Lodge, The Dunlop Inn, The Warn Doorstep
Halifax- Marriott-Residence Inn, Waverly Inn, Delta Halifax

Thanks!

Tanya Jun 26th, 2007 02:43 AM

Unless you are going strictly to Newfoundland, skip this province. It deserves time by itself without another province involved.

In Baddeck I would recommend staying right in the village. Silver Dart is on the outskirts - but not that far out - but you would need to take a car into the village. The Iverary is directly on the Lake.

I would recommend you fly into Halifax and depart from there. If Hopewell Rocks is a must, take a trip from Halifax up through the Parrsboro area. You can take the longer route and spend a night at Cape d'Or lighthouse. Then go into Alma for a night (Hopewell Rocks, Cape Enrage and the Fundy National Park). The next day you can travel towards PEI. Spend a day or two there and then take the ferry to Pictou and head to Cape Breton.

pavfec Jun 26th, 2007 05:49 AM

Totally agree with Tanya. Skip Newfoundland. It would be way too much travel and you wouldn't be able to see as much.

With 14 days, you can relaxingly explore Cape Breton, Halifax, PEI and southern New Brunswick.

LJ Jun 26th, 2007 06:25 AM

Though I am a huge fan of Newfoundland / Labrador, I agreeyou need to skip it this trip-it is a 3-week explore all by itself...and VERY worthwhile for your next east coast adventure...I look forward to your final draft agenda.

George Jun 26th, 2007 08:41 AM

Hi: In rethinking your itinerary, I think I would have to agree with the last three postings. There's nothing within an hour's drive of Port-aux-Basques that would justify the time and expense of crossing to Newfoundland. As recommended above, I would save Newfoundland for a future trip where more time would allow you to really see some of this beautiful Province and meet its wonderful people.

There is certainly more than enough to see & do in NB, PE, and NS to enjoyably fill two weeks.

Regards.

caroline_traveller Jun 26th, 2007 01:19 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up on Silver Dart, we definately want stay somewhere where we wouldn't have to drive in to town. Inverary is sold out, any other suggestions???

I'm also considering possibly staying at Dalvay at the Sea instead of Delta Charlottetown? good choice or too far from downtown? Also if the Delta is not avialable could anyone recommend centrally located hotels/bb's in Charlottetown.

Which city would be best for whale watching assuming we leave out Nfld and keep Bar Harbor?

Is it best to navigate the Cabot Trail by staying in Baddeck and doing the trail in a day or should we stop somewhere on the trail overnight? We are not hikers or bird watchers but love beaches and and enjoying the scenery and surroundings?

Now this next one may be a dumb question and although I think I know the answer I have to ask anyway...if we have to take a ferry would our car always come with us or are there some spots where you cant cross with a cross? Keeping in mind the tentative itinerary above.

Ooooh and assuming again we arrive in halifax and decide to spend 4 nights would we need a car rental for the first two days if our goal was to simply explore the city???

Thank you all soooooooooo much!

Caroline

pavfec Jun 26th, 2007 02:21 PM

<i>I'm also considering possibly staying at Dalvay at the Sea instead of Delta Charlottetown? good choice or too far from downtown? Also if the Delta is not avialable could anyone recommend centrally located hotels/bb's in Charlottetown.</i>

Dalvay by the Sea is a good 15-20 minutes from the Charlottetown city limits, so about 25-30 minutes from downtown Charlottetown by car. Dalvay is on the north coast of the island. The Delta is right downtown with easy access to everything (caveat: my DH and I lived in Charlottetown for over 2 years).

<i>Is it best to navigate the Cabot Trail by staying in Baddeck and doing the trail in a day or should we stop somewhere on the trail overnight? We are not hikers or bird watchers but love beaches and and enjoying the scenery and surroundings?</i>

From my very limited knowledge (going to Cape Breton in a month for the first time), if you're not into hiking or bird watching, you could probably do the trail in a day.

<i>Now this next one may be a dumb question and although I think I know the answer I have to ask anyway...if we have to take a ferry would our car always come with us or are there some spots where you cant cross with a cross? Keeping in mind the tentative itinerary above.</i>

Not a stupid question! The ferry between NS and PEI is a car ferry, so you drive onto a lower deck at the back of the boat, lock your car, then you can go upstairs onto the deck (can't recall if there's an indoor lounge). At the other end, they open the front and you drive off.

<i>Ooooh and assuming again we arrive in halifax and decide to spend 4 nights would we need a car rental for the first two days if our goal was to simply explore the city???</i>

Halifax is best explored by foot, so you won't need a car for the city itself. You will need one if you want to do day trips to Lunenberg or Peggy's Cove though.

Tanya Jun 27th, 2007 03:28 AM

Agree with the above post. Car not necessary for Halifax for a couple of days but if you want to do a day trip - Peggy's Cove to Lunenburg is a must and you will need a car.

As for other places to stay in Baddeck. Try Dunlop House - B&amp;B directly on the water. Telegraph House is also an option but last time I stayed there we didn't have ac in our room.

caroline_traveller Jun 28th, 2007 04:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks for all your answers. This is an updated tentative itinerary. I am still waiting for the Trip-Tik and Doer's and Dreamer's Guide to arrive.

Day
1 Arrive, Explore, Overnight Halifax
2 Explore, Overnight Halifax
3 Drive to Peggy’s Cove, Whale Watch Overnight Halifax
4 Explore, Overnight Halifax
5 Drive Halifax Baddeck 41/2-5 hours Overnight Baddeck
6 Cabots Trail, Overnight Baddeck
7 Fortress, Overnight Baddeck
8 Drive to Caribou, N.S 2 ˝-3 hours, Take Ferry to PEI (75 minutes) Explore, Overnight Charlottetown
9 Explore Cavendish, Cavendish Beach
10 Explore Charlottetown, Confederation Bridge to Moncton (2 hour Drive), Overnight Moncton
11 Hopewell Rocks, Overnight Moncton
12 Drive Moncton to Bar Harbor 5 ˝-6 Hours
13 Overnight Bar Harbor
14 Overnight Bar Harbor
15 Drive to Saint John or Moncton for afternoon/late flight home

What do you think???

Any suggestions for where we should stop for our day trip through the cabot trail? Beach, lunch etc?

Any suggestion for stops we could make from Moncton to Bar harbor? What rest stops would be nice to explore for 1/2 hour or so?

The times included above are estimated driving times only and do not include stops along the way. Pleas let me if I have undercalculated driving times.

Peggys Cove best place to book whale watching tour based on itinerary above?

Are we spending too much time in any one city? Again we are hoping to enjoy the scenery and the beaches along with good restaurants.

Thanks!

Caroline

beba Jun 28th, 2007 07:32 AM

Caroline, I might suggest on your way back from PEI to Moncton that you stop off at Parlee Beach. It would be a nice relaxing way to spend a few hours on a beautiful sandy beach, with the warmest waters south of the Carolina's. You could have lunch on the deck of the restaurant on the beach and enjoy the view, or take a walk on the beach , or go for a swim. There is an entrance fee to enter the park for the day and that is around $10.00 per car. The beach is less than an hours drive from PEI and about 20 minutes before you enter into Moncton (literally on the way).
The Delta hotel you mentioned is right down town and is Moncton's 'nicest' hotel,arguably.
Enjoy your stay.

beba Jun 28th, 2007 07:34 AM

My previous reply should have said 'North' of the Carolina's and not south. Dahhh.

George Jun 28th, 2007 12:56 PM

Hi Caroline: Seems like a very nice itinerary. I checked the driving times on the AAA maps. They show a total of 5 hrs. 52 mins, from Moncton to Bar Harbor, without stops.
Please be sure to take into account the time needed for the crossing of the border at Calais/St.Stephen's. Depending on the day of the week and time of day,there could be lines.

Regards.