Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help needed planning Junegetaway to Notl, Stratford, or Jordan Station

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I want a 4 night getaway to the area. We love the area but are overwhelmed by the options.

We would like to rent a small cottage/home for the stay but after several web searches can't seem to find one. We are open to B'&B's, but prefer them to have a bit more room than quite so cozy. We plan to tour the vineyards, antique, and generally relax, maybe see a play although that's not a must on the list.

Which place is best to base out of to accomplish this? We have no idea what Jordan or Startford have to offer, and have been to NOTL before. Any suggestions on accomodations/activities is much appreciated.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:12 PM

We stayed at the Inn on the Twenty in Jordan this fall. It was lovely but...we travel alot and are not cheap but found it and On the Twenty restaurant just a touch on the pricey side. Jordan is a quaint town and worth the visit (take the Cave Springs tour) but you'd be better based out of NOTL (IMHO). Travel between the two areas is easy, as you know, but I preferred walking around NOTL.Haven't been to Stratford in years so can't comment.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:37 AM
PLJ

I consider the towns that you have mentioned to be in two separate areas: 1)Niagara (NOTL and Jordan) and 2) Stratford. I believe that the drive from NOTL to Stratford would be about 1.5 - 2 hours, depending on the traffic. There is certainly plenty to do in both areas - theatre, shopping, dining, parks, sites. And, if you are interested in wineries, NOTL is certainly the place to be.

As for accomodations, although I have not stayed there, I have heard very good things about a B&B called "Wooton House on the Water". It is located in a neighbourhood of St. Catharines called Port Dalhousie. St. Catharines is in Niagara, about a 30 minute drive from NOTL in one direction and about 15 minutes from Jordan in the other direction. I understand that Wooton House has a lovely queen suite with a private deck and a kitchenette - which sounds as if it may meet your criterion for "more room".

www.wootonhouse.com

If you decide to stay in Stratford, I can recommend the Stone Maiden Inn. My husband and I spent a night there last May and were quite pleased with it. The innkeepers were very welcoming and helpful in providing local information. The complimentary afternoon tea and scones were a very nice touch. And, the breakfast buffet was delicious and substantial. Although we stayed in the smallest room, some of the rooms are fairly spacious. There is also a good-sized sitting room available to guests.

www.stonemaideninn.com

Other useful websites for theatre and general tourist information are:

www.shawfest.com

www.stratford-festival.on.ca
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:06 PM

There is an excellent B&B in Stamford, ON. If you want a bit more space, ask for the room with the jacuzzi.

http://www.niagaraonthelake.com/frameset.jsp?site=http://www.stamfordvillageb-b.com

Ask for blueberry scones for breakfast. You will not be sorry.

Stamford is located between NOTL and Niagara Falls. I stayed there for a week during August 2002 and absolutely loved the place. Lovely hosts!

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 09:20 PM

Last summer was the first time in years that I attended the Stratford Festival. I usually went to NOTL. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The production I saw of My Fair Lady was beyond my expectations, there was an interesting art in the Park exhibit and I had a hard decision choosing which restaurant to go to for lunch. I would go back in a minute. I would want to spend time antiquing and would hope to make it to St. Jacobs and some of the other towns in the area. You could stop by Langdon Hall enroute as well. If I was going to head to the Niagara area tho' I would check out the Vineland Estates Vineyard and see it their cottage is available. It is close to Jordan Station but really feels more country.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:02 PM

I just made reservations for August 18-22 for the Stratford Shakespeare Festival. I will see 2 plays a day for 4 days before heading to an elderhostel on Isle Royale in Michigan (talk about a long drive!).

The problem is that I cannot make up my mind which plays to choose. The other problem is that I do not have the time to visit that B&B in Stamford, ON, to have those blueberry scones.