Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Help me choose a Vancouver hotel, please (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/help-me-choose-a-vancouver-hotel-please-272735/)

Amy Nov 12th, 2002 02:15 PM

Help me choose a Vancouver hotel, please

Thanks to some helpful folks on here, it looks as if I'll be coming to Vancouver for five days between Christmas and New Years!<BR><BR>My hotel choices right now are the Wedgewood or the Fairmont Waterfront or Fairmont Vancouver. I like &quot;non-cookie-cutter&quot; hotels, but my chief interest is in location. (I like to be able to explore a lot on foot and using transportation without having to spend hours in getting back to the hotel.)<BR><BR>Any other advice will also be gratefully accepted!

Brian Kilgore Nov 12th, 2002 06:59 PM

All three are excellent hotels, and all are close to places people like to walk to.<BR><BR>I'd pick the Fairmont Waterfront, just because the Vancouver's waterfront is a big part of what makes the city special.<BR><BR>BAK

Jim Rosenberg Nov 12th, 2002 08:14 PM

I'd pick the Fairmont downtown because I'm a downtown-type person, but you're not talking a GREAT distance between them in any case -- I'm guessing maybe six or eight blocks. Both are very well situated and I doubt that you'd be disappointed with either. (I see the downtown location is $10 cheaper on: <BR><BR>http://www.180096hotel.com/index.html<BR><BR>...but perhaps there are even less expensive ways to book such as Priceline or Hotwire). Vancouver is a wonderful city to walk and you will have a fabulous trip!

Cindy Nov 13th, 2002 04:35 AM

I'd cast my vote for the Wedgewood. I love the place. It's very well-located and certainly meets your &quot;non-cookie-cutter&quot; criterion. It's a short walk from Robson Street; it's a boutique-type hotel, small and beautiful, with very attentive and pleasant staff. The restaurant is superb. If they still have orange poppyseed bread for breakfast, it's one of the best ways to start the day that I know of!

Amy Nov 13th, 2002 11:48 AM

Thanks to all (but of course you realize y'all didn't make it any easier for me, what with three different votes!)<BR><BR>I'd been inclined toward the Wedgewood as that kept cropping up on searches here as a nice experience, but I'm still open to other votes...and suggestions for Vancouver visiting!

sue Nov 15th, 2002 02:05 PM

i would choose the nicely newly renovated sheraton landmark on robson street. especially if you can get a high floor, we stayed on the 35th floor before and what a view of the mountains , ocean and downtown we had, plus a balcony. only a few blocks from denman street and stanley park as well as lots of great restaurants. have a fun stay here!!

sue Nov 15th, 2002 02:07 PM

oh the other thing is you can catch a bus right in front of hotel. whereas the fairmont its a bit of a walk to a bus. unless you want to take the skytrain which is right there.

cindy Nov 16th, 2002 05:00 AM

I've stayed at the Sheraton Landmark. It's pleasant enough, but has nowhere near the ambiance of the Wedgewood. It's a large high-rise hotel right on Robson Street; while they may well have renovated, waiting for the elevators in a place that size can be a pastime in itself. If you opt for the Wedgewood, ask for a room facing Hornby Street; it's a city view, yes, but quite delightful.

B.V. Nov 16th, 2002 07:02 AM

Just got back last night from Vancouver. Although you didn't mention it-we stayed at the Pacific Palisades.<BR>I was impressed with the quality of service. The hotel is definitely not cookie cutter-very hip and modern.<BR>We had a room on the 18th floor, with lovely views. The hotel is on Robson-which can be a little noisy-but it is a great central location-5 minutes walk to Stanley Park, 7 minutes by car to Granville Island (my favorite spot).<BR>I highly recommend them.

dede Nov 16th, 2002 09:21 AM

Of the 3 wich are all very nice, I would say the Wedgewood for the reasons Cindy stated. Another choice with good location is the Sutton Place. You might want to look into that hotel as well.

gary Nov 17th, 2002 11:08 AM

The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver at Georgia &amp; Burrard is the Grand Old 'Dowager' Hotel in Vancouver. While it's been upgraded and renovated a number of times, (last about 4 years ago), it still retains the spacious open lobby of the twenties and thirties. The rooms vary widely in quality and layout so you have to be specific about what you want. 'Standard' for instance is quite possibly a poorly located cubbyhole. On the other hand if you get a good room then you can be sure of a real old time hotel experiance in a perfect location for everything

Amy Nov 18th, 2002 02:32 PM

Thanks to all of you for your help! It looks as if I may need to visit Vancouver more than one time...<BR>This time I have booked the Wedgewood, though, as it was about the same in price as the others and seems to have a unique atmosphere.<BR>Thanks for any other suggestions or hints for Vancouver in the winter!

Robyn Nov 18th, 2002 04:32 PM

A hint for Vancouver in the winter: avoid wearing suede, and always have an umbrealla handy!

Cathy Nov 18th, 2002 08:39 PM

I hate to sound ignorant, but what is a cookie cutter hotel?

Robyn Nov 18th, 2002 10:03 PM

Some people say &quot;cookie-cutter&quot;, others say &quot;carbon copy&quot;. I guess the modern saying would be &quot;clone&quot;. Just a hotel that looks like every other hotel out there.

Mike Nov 18th, 2002 10:06 PM

Amy,<BR><BR>Stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront this past May. Serviced by all of the major bus lines. Easy to catch a cab. Just across the street from Canada Place. On the edge of Gastown. <BR><BR>Stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver couple of years ago. Another great place. Wedgewood is also another great place. Can't go wrong with either one. Actually, if you got the time, you can actually walk from any of these hotels to Stanley Park, the Vancouver Museum, the shopping district, etc. Granville Island is also a short hop via a taxi.<BR><BR>Taking my family to Vancouver this January and will be staying at the Pan Pacific at Canada Place for a couple of days. Just across the street from the Fairmont Waterfront. Built on a pier that also doubles as a ferry dock. Couple of great restaurants in walking distance.<BR><BR>Have a good trip!