Reload this Page >

Help! Haven't a *clue* as to what area to stay in in Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Sue

Hi. In August there will be 4 families in our group heading out to Vancouver for 3-4 days before we go on our cruise. I've been clicking around, looking at hotels, B&amp;Bs, and houses/condos, but I don't know where (area) to stay. There will be 3 children in our party (2,3,8). If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be appreciated.<BR><BR>Also-- does anyone know anything about the Pendrell Suites at 1419 Pendrell St.? Good location? It seemed to be, but I really don't know.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR>Sue

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:58 PM
maude

sue,<BR>have you tried a search on vancouver, just type &quot;vancouver&quot; in the text search box above and you can scroll down and get all kinds of info , from restaurants, to hotels, good locations. Have a great trip.<BR><BR>Maude

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 07:40 PM
anonymous

the cruise ship terminal is downtown, so if you want to be close, choose a downtown hotel. Do not stay in a hotel on the downtown east side - anything on East Hastings st or any other street with east in its name. The trendy area is Robson Street, Denman street etc.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:56 AM
LordBalfor

From what I can gather, the Pendrell Suites are 4 or 5 blocks from Stanley Park, among a collections of upscale high-rise apartments/hotels. Though I don't know that place in particular, I do like that general area (probably my favorite area overall), so it looks like a good location to me - fairly close to the park (a great park by the way) and 4 or 5 blocks to Robson (a terrific street). Should be safe, clean, and nice. <BR><BR>According to the following links (click on the purple dot on Pendrell St on the map), Hollywood types stay there.<BR><BR>http://www.vancouver.worldweb.com/Maps/mapviewer.html<BR><BR>http://www.ohwy.com/bc/w/wc13929.htm<BR><BR>Enjoy Vancouver. It's a beautiful city.<BR><BR>Ken

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:08 AM
elizabeth

Elsewhere on this site someone points out that the Pendrell Suites exterior was Agent Skully's home on the X-Files.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Steve

They may may as well change the city name from Vancouver to Peking. Stay in Seattle unless chainsmoking asians appeal to you.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Jones

I live on the same street as the Pendrell suites. It's a great area. Safe, clean, quiet. The only thing is that Pendrell Suites are actually the pemanent home of many people and that is a residential area. The rooms they rent on a weekly basis are quite pricey and I have a feeling that they don't welcome kids. There is another place (I can't remember what it is called) on Denman and Robson ...The &quot;time&quot; suites? that is really nice and a bit closer to the park and a walk along Denman will either take you to Coal Harbour or English Bay depending on which direction you walk. Next time I'm out I'll walk by and check out the name.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:04 PM
steveyouneedto

Sorry, but I had to comment on Steve's post. <BR><BR>Peking, Steve? Chainsmoking Asians? <BR><BR>You sound suspiciously like a racist redneck to me. 'Asians', as you call them, don't have the monopoly on cigarettes, as you'd know if you've spent any time choking on second-hand smoke in many restaurants in Europe.<BR><BR>Vancouver's Asian influence has resulted in a cosmopolitan and exciting city unique in North America. I'd suggest you check your prejudices at the door. Or instead, stop using your PC with its 'made in Taiwan' chips or buying your 'made in China' clothes or using your 'made in Japan' stereo.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Vancouverite

As a (white) Vancouverite, I also feel compelled to respond to Steve's xenophobic post and agree with the poster immediately above me. This city's cosmopolitan character is what makes it one of the world's best. I would be hard-pressed to think of even one way in which the influx of Asian people to Vancouver has not made it a better city. These immigrants have brought with them sophistication, intelligence, wealth, and great cuisine, and have really helped make this city what it is. The best thing about Vancouver's high Asian population, though? It makes this city unappealing to people like Steve, so they tend to stay away and leave the rest of us in peace... And Steve, if you want to insult Vancouver and Asian people, at least try to become a bit better informed. 'Peking' is called 'Beijing' nowadays. The large majority of Asian immigrants to Vancouver are NOT from Mainland China, but from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Korea. As for 'chainsmoking Asians', I don't know what city you're thinking of, but it's NOT Vancouver. I would bet money that white smokers outnumber Asian smokers 10-to-1 here. I know many people in Asia smoke, but despite what you may think, Steve, this is Canada, not Asia... If you want to remain ensconced in your isolationist coccoon, though, go ahead. The rest of us will keep living in the 21st century... <BR>(my apologies to the original poster for this digression, but I needed to say this)

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 05:40 PM
gary

Amen to the above two posts. However while BC and Vancouver have the lowest smoking rates in Canada, (about 20% of Adults in BC as a whole and somewhat less in Vancouver), I do find thqat Asians at least equal that rate. Certainly it would be a gross exageration to say that non-asians significantly exceed Asians as smokers.<BR><BR>A P.S. - Vancouver is about 40% Asian but that figure includes almost 250,000 'South Asians' which include Pakistanis, East Indians, Iranians and Sri Lankins, so it's incorrect to think of them in terms of All East Asians, (i.e. Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Phillipinos, etc.). The fact is that we have a wonderful mix of cultures from every corner of the world which is what makes Vancover so very special.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Bonnie

How do people posting get so carried away with everything but what was asked? Please don't answer that...it was simply a rhetorical question! I went to Vancouver with my family and we absolutely loved where we stayed. We stayed downtown at the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Georgia St. We got our rooms thru Priceline and the price was extremely reasonable. We all loved that we could walk to Robson (lots of action, reasonable restaurants), we walked to near Stanley Park where we took a boat tour of the harbour, we walked to Gastown to see that area, and we walked to Yaletown. Okay, the weather was great! I also seriously looked at a hotel near Yaletown that had a family suite called Rose__ something Suites. Before I knew about Priceline I thought the price was very good. I could live with that location, too but Burrard and Georgia is so central. Email me directly if you want to know anything else about our trip (I grew up in Vancouver and am always happy to talk about it!)

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:51 PM
tbone

stay in the Robson Street area or on the waterfront. If it's in your budget try these: Pan Pacific,Westin Bayshore,Fairmont Waterfront Hotel. On Robson try the Pacific Palisades.<BR><BR>check out vancouver.com

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:52 AM
jennifer

Just replied to another message on this site asking the same question, so I feel compelled to share my thoughts with you, too! I would recommend Pacific Palisades. The service is fabulous, with a helpful concierge, indoor heated pool, workout facility, and courteous front desk staff. They have rooms that seem spacious, with kitchenettes, living room, and separate bedrooms. They feel almost like an apartment, and the views from the upper level balconies are fabulous of the cityscape and the water and mountains. It's sort of a hip and trendy place, with bright lemon yellow, orange, and apple green colors in the lobby and a contemporary-style restaurant called ZEN, so I don't know if that's what you're looking for. The food at ZEN is great, and it's a great place to people watch, especially on the outdoor patio with young, hip Vancouverites breezing past with shopping bags. But its also on trendy, shop-lined Robson St. in the heart of downtown, and just a 2 or 3-block walk to the harbor where all the cruise ships dock. You'll love it! Don't miss a trip over to nearby Granville Island, a tiny isle just across FALSE CREEK from downtown. It's full of galleries, a &quot;kids-only &quot; shopping area, great waterside restaurants (try THE SAND BAR for good food and fabulous views of the city from its rooftop bar, nestled under a big bridge!). In Vancouver, THE CRIME LAB is also an interesting restaurant; it's a former morgue-turned-restaurant and the menu has all sorts of interesting things...ENJOY YOUR TRIP. I really love Vancouver and have been there twice on business (was actually stuck there over Sept. 11, 2001 and the people could not have been nicer and more sympathetic!!).