Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help! driving from mississauga to ottawa--how far does the 407 go?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:58 AM
sarah

hello there--I am hoping someone can help me out. I am driving to ottawa this evening and want to get there as soon as possible. How far can I take the 407 and does it hook up with the 401 when it ends? Is it worth taking the 407? Thank you so much for your help.
S

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Brian Kilgore

Whether 407 is a benefit depends on how much time you want to save compared to spending money to be allowed on the road, and, perhaps more importantly, where you are starting from in Mississauga.

If you are in the southern part of Mississauga near the Queen Elizabeth Way, and you are heading for Ottawa after rush hour, just drive east across the QEW and then the Gardner, and up the Don Valley Park Way and then east on 401.

Where you get off the 401 makes a difference of a few minutes in overall travel time. I usually stay on 401 to Prescott, and then head up highway 16.

BAK

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:48 AM
sarah

hi--thanks so much for your help. I am driving from hurontario and the 401. do you suggest I just stay on the 401 until the 417? I have never driven to Ottawa from Toronto before and I am unsure where prescott as well as highway 16 is. thanks for your help.
S

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:41 AM
gary

You'll have no trouble finding the exit to highway #416 off of the 401. It does lead to our National Capital after all so it will be very well marked.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Sherry

Not having lived in TO for years, I cant remember where Hurontario is
But, if you would need to go "up" to get the 407 and then you will need to come "down" from the 407 to get back to the 401, I wouldnt bother. I have used the 407 a few times when returning to Ottawa, and it makes sense (time wise) if you are close to the 407 at your departure point. Again, rush hour traffic will impede your progress considerably, as the 401 will be slow going til after Oshawa. Just depends on when you are leaving.

As stated above, take the 416 at Prescott to Ottawa, and the 416 ends at the 417, presumably you are going downtown somewhere, so stay right on the 416 when you reach Ottawa. Only if you are going to Kanata for example, would you exit left. The 416 enters the city in the west end, so most places you need to go, would put you in the right lane at the junction. Have a safe trip.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Sherry

Sarah,
I forgot to mention, if you give us an idea of where in Ottawa you want to end up, I can tell you how to get there from the 417 if you like.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:16 AM
sarah

thank you so much everyone for all of your help. I am leaving right at 3 15 so hopefully I miss some of the crazy traffic--I am going to just stick to the 401 and not try the 407--the 407 is only a few blocks up though--I just don't want to have to worry about when it comes to an end. thank you so much.
S

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
sarah

I am going to gilmour st--in the glebe area. thanks for everything--everyone has been such a great help.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Sherry

Sarah,
Easy one

Take the 416 into Ottawa, (right lane exit)drive approx 10-15 kms or so on the 417, take the Bronson Avenue exit.

You will pass exits like Greenbank, Woodroffe, Carling, etc. It is not far after the Parkdale exit.

Bronson will be the easiest one I think, depending on where on Gilmour.

Anyway, take the Bronson exit ramp, turn LEFT onto Bronson itself right after you exit, and go up about 5-6 blocks to Gilmour. Gilmour is NOT a one-way thankfully. (If you get to Somerset Street, you have gone a block or two too far!)

Turn right onto Gilmour, and mosey on down to find your address.

Goof luck.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Sherry

Edit: GOOD luck!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Susan

Hi, Sarah! Take a look at www.407etr.com

I am a big fan of the 407....especially during Friday traffic!

Safe trip!
Susan