Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Heading for Alaska (cruise); will BC exploration be redundant?

Oct 19th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

I have always wanted to explore some of BC - for its overall scenery and because I'm captivated by coastal areas. Next summer, we'll be embarking on an Alaska cruise from Victoria. My initial thought was to plan on arriving a few days early to get in some BC time. But now I'm wondering...will we be seeing much the same type of scenery once we're underway on the cruise?

If BC is still a good idea, would appreciate any itinerary/route suggestions. Thanks!

Oct 19th, 2005, 08:33 AM

If you want to explore BC I really recommend that you do get to Victoria a few days ahead. The only part of BC you will see on the cruise (unless you are on one of the few cruises that stops at/or Prince Rupert and Campbell River is from the deck of the ship. It depends on how much time you have but you could rent a car and drive up island and see the Tofino area (Long Beach) and points in between. I would certainly take at least 3 days for the exploring. Let us know how much time you have but for coastal areas it is certainly best to do it on Vancouver Island.

What cruise line are you on and how long is the cruise - do you disembark in Victoria?
Oct 19th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Traveller 69. We don't come back to Vancouver; it's Silverseas and we head on down to SanFrancisco.

We will have a half-day in Prince Rupert, but that's barely anything, of course.

We're fairly flexible on time; it's probably the $$ that will determine how much extra time we give ourselves for BC.
Oct 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Hi Tuckerdc

If that is the case I would do all of the BC exploration on the Island. There isn't much to see in Prince Rupert - just the town itself and lots of trees!! The Island is certainly the most beautiful spot. There have been lost of posts regarding visiting Tofino and other parts of the Island. I would allow two days for the Victoria area and at least 3 for the rest. It isn't too expensive if you don't stay in the fancy resorts so the more time you have the better. If you scroll back and look for sludick trip report which she is still entertaining us with you will see her early report part one and two deal with Victoria and the Island. Read those. She gives lots of detail and it will give you an idea. You have lots of time between now and then for more suggestions. Have fun planning and ask all the questions you want. The one thing I would mention is that most of the posters on this board just talk about the west side of the Island. There are beautiful spots on the East side too so like I say - allow as much time as you can.
Oct 19th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Hi again

Look for this heading when you are looking for Sludicks trip report

"Trip Report: Victoria-Tofino-Okanagan-Nelson-Banff-Vancouver ....
Oct 20th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I agree with traveller69's suggestion - look at sludick's report.

While parts of BC's coast might appear similar to parts of Alaska's coast, there are so many different regions within BC which are completely different from Alaska. The Okanagan valley comes to mind, as does the Cariboo region. Even the Gulf Islands would offer you a different experience. There are many unique ecosystems in BC that you won't find in Alaska, so keep that in mind when planning what you're going to see in BC. Personally, I'd spend time in several areas to see how diverse BC's geography is. BC's the most biologically and geographically diverse province in Canada, so take advantage of it.

www.britishcolumbia.com does a good job explaining the differences in the regions.
Oct 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I will certainly set about unearthing the recommended trip report

Apologies for my initial goof, however. We are sailing out of Vancouver (where we've never been), so are interested in doing some city exploration, as well as getting out into the country (I hope). We made a quickie visit to Victoria several years ago. Just today, a friend suggested that we take the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria to do some further looking around. Not sure whether we will do so or not, at this point.

It's going to be the same old story, I'm sure: so much to do and too little time to do it in.