Reload this Page >

Headed for the Canadian Rockies next week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Diane

We are going to spend 5 nights in Yoho (Emerald Lake Lodge) and two in Banff, and will be hiking every day (unless it's really rainy). I am expecting cool to cold conditions on the trails, depending on altitude. I am not expecting snow. Sound about right? As for hikes, I read about Twin Falls/Whaleback Trail/Takkakaw Falls in Yoho, and Sulphur Mtn in Banff in previous posts. Any other suggestions? (The hiking guide I ordered---Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies--- didn't arrive.)

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:40 PM
traveller

It has been very hot and dry and fire bans are on throughout the province. In fact, a good number of campgrounds have been closed do to the extreme fire hazard. The weather forecast is for more of the same.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:43 PM
rand

You will be able to buy hiking guides there if your's does not arrive in time.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:43 PM
Susan

We did the Sulphur Mt. trail but backwards. We took the gondola up and hiked down whereas most people hike up and gondola down. Of course that meant that we had to pay for the gondola. I think there is a discount if you only take it down. Going down meant we felt different muscles. It is a moderately difficult trail. Narrow switchbacks with lots of loose gravel.We were very suprised at the unprepared numbers attempting the hike up. The hikes around Lake Moraine sounded interesting but we didn't have time to try those. Have fun!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 03:52 PM
Island Girl

Hi Diane, <BR> <BR>It sounds like you've got some great hikes to do in Yoho. While in Banff you should also try the Edith and Cory Pass. It's a strenuous hike, but really excellent, IMHO. If you end up buying a hiking book when you get there, "Classic hikes in the Canadian Rockies" is a good one. <BR> <BR>Your idea of conditions is about right, plus there are lots of bears around. Hope you have a great time!

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 07:00 PM
Diane

Thanks, everyone!

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:38 PM
traveller

Does anyone know if the trails are closed in Banff due to the fire hazard. They are all around the park but I wondered if they were open in the park.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Island Girl

I heard a Banff National Park employee on the radio last Friday, and Banff park was open for camping, so I'd assume the trails are open as well. From looking at the website, I see that some trails are closed due to bear activity. I check the trail reports through www.discovercanmore.com.