Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Has anyone stayed at these inns in Ontario? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/has-anyone-stayed-at-these-inns-in-ontario-129597/)

Diane Jun 12th, 2001 08:46 AM

Has anyone stayed at these inns in Ontario?

Could anyone give me their opinion on the following places: The Elora Mill, The Breadalbane Inn, and The Millcroft Inn. We are looking for a place to spend our anniversary for a weekend. Looking for romantic restaurant, upscale accomadations and with walking distance to attractions. Thanbs in advance.

Brian Kilgore Jun 12th, 2001 03:53 PM

Don't know Breadalbane. <BR>Millcroft is by itself in the country, with nothing to walk to, except to enjoy the country itself. <BR> <BR>It's been a while since I was there, but thememories are fine. <BR> <BR>Elora Mill is inthemiddle of a small town with lots of art galleries, a big gorge, parks to walk to, etc., and is much more "urban" although the town is small. For going for walks to look at things related to humans, it is better than the Millcroft. <BR> <BR>Either one would be a fine place. I'd pick Elora, for the livlier pace in the town. <BR> <BR>BAK

jackie Jun 12th, 2001 04:27 PM

Diane <BR>We stayed at the Elora a few years ago. Very romantic setting, loved the room and the inn. Hated the restaurant. Breakfast is included with your room and it was fine but we paid separately for dinner and it was horrible. We were there in December and it was particularly cold (-30) so we weren't prepared to go anywhere else anyway. Stay at the Elora Mill but eat somewhere else.

Diane Jun 12th, 2001 05:54 PM

Jackie-what did you not like about the restaurant? Also what restaurants are close by that we could go for a nice anniversary dinner. Thanks.

Bonnie Jun 13th, 2001 12:01 AM

Perhaps you should look at someplace in Naigara-on-the Lake. There are beautiful hotels and bed & breakfasts that are within walking distance to shops and restaurants. There is also a lovely small hotel in Jordan Station (east of Niagara-on-the-Lake). The restaurant across the street is called On The Twenty and is wonderful (don't eat upstairs tho', it doesn't have the same atmosphere). Langdon Hall is beautiful and we did drive thru a small town to get to it.

jackie Jun 13th, 2001 03:06 PM

Diane, <BR> <BR>At the restaurant every entree had 6-8 words in its description, i.e. very elaborate food. That would be fine only the combinations didn't work. Example, I really wanted fish. The only choice was salmon which is fine. But, the salmon was a filet with spinach, brie cheese and chutney wrapped in filo pastry. Way too many flavours and the spinach had grit in it. My husband's meal, while gritless was just as convoluted. I can't help you with other restaurants in Elora because it really was freezing when we were there and I had only taken shoes so we didn't walk around much. Niagara on the lake is really pretty and has great food, but Elora is very nice too. Hope this helps.

anne Jun 13th, 2001 05:41 PM

Diane: We have stayed at the Elora Inn but in the cottage across from the inn itself .. quite charming, but I agree with Jackie that breakfasts were wonderful, but the one dinner we had there was quite disappointing. The menu seemed to be quite pretentious .. I understand that changes have been made, but we ate elsewhere. There are a number of charming tearooms and cafes in town. Niagara on the Lake is also a good choice (but very busy and touristy in the summer months) If you don't have your heart set on one of the 3 you mentioned there are some wonderful inns throughout Ontario. Check out this site: <BR>http://www.ontariosfinestinns.com/member_inns.html

paula Jun 14th, 2001 04:13 PM

The Benmiller Inn in Goderich is lovely- and expensive. We've only eaten there, never stayed but heard wonderful things from friends who have. The town is touristy but nice. It may be further than you want to travel however (Bruce Peninsula) <BR>www.benmiller.on.ca/