Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at Howard Johnson Hotel on Sherbourne Street, Toronto?

Jul 10th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Vince

Has anyone stayed at Howard Johnson Hotel on Sherbourne Street in Toronto?
My wife and I have a reservation there for the Labor Day weekend, and I just wanted to know if the area is safe and interesting...

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

Jul 10th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Ariel

What is the nearest intersection? I live in T.O. and can tell you about the area at least (haven't stayed there).

Jul 10th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Vince

I'm not sure about intersections. I've never been to Torornto before.

Jul 10th, 2001, 09:59 AM
garyt

Vince - The Hotel you have chosen is a former girl's school converted into a hotel and remodeled in 1999. It is in the north east corner of Toronto, quite far from the traditional "action". There is a subway station nearby, and if you don't mind riding and extra walking, as well as being far from things, you will be ok. If you look at a Toronto city map, use the College street loop to lock into much of the activity, then you can see how far your hotel is. If it were me, I would try to move closer to the action, but you need to make that call...have fun.

Jul 10th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Brian Kilgore

I used to work for Howard Johnson's when the chain first came to Canada, and I drove past this one the other day, and shook my head.

It's an old converted fleabag of a hotel, now, I'm sure, clean and tidy and reasonably well run, but you are in a dicey neighborhood, mixed between wealthy film makers and advertising writers and derelicts and boarding houses. And a couple of blocks from the wealthiest people in canada, in Rosedale.

It's a weird place, really, and hard to judge. If you are easy going and open to new experiences, what the heck.

Ifyou are conservative and worry about things, and not in the mood to experiment, pick somewhere else.

From a convenience point of view, it's a very short walk north to Bloor Street, (and a subway stop) and then about a four block walk to Yonge St. big stores, fancy restaurants, sophisticated art galleries, and more, in the Yorkville area.

From Bloor and Yonge you can get anywhere easily by subway, and get to a lot of good places for tourists just using your feet.
For people who do not know, it is on Sherbourne just south of Bloor and used to be, I believe, the Selby Hotel, basically a beer parlour and flop house operation.

RE Safe; several women I know live nearby and do not worry about the neighborhood. Even the drunks are polite in Toronto.

BAK

BAK

Jul 11th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Susan

Brian, you summed it up perfectly!