Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at APRIL POINT LODGE or PAINTER'S RESORT???

Dec 30th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

We're thinking of staying here for a few nights in July with our teens. It looks great. We're not big into fishing, but love the outdoors: hiking, canoe/kayaking, bike-riding, etc. Also interested in the whale watching tours.

any comments are greatly appreciated!!

thanks,
Dina
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:31 AM

"We're not big into fishing"

Good for you because there are very few fish left near Campbell River anyway-resist the pressure to charter a boat-definitely not worth your time.

Everything else is on offer and while I prefer being further north either place will suit.
Jan 1st, 2007, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your response. Too bad there aren't many fish left. Fishing would have been a fun new experience, but we were primarily searhing for a place that was really beautiful where we could enjoy the outdoors and wildlife of the area. And it looks really nice on the internet!

any other comments are appreciated!

thanks again,
dina
Jan 1st, 2007, 09:31 AM

I've been to both places (stayed at Painter's Lodge and visited April Point while staying at Tsa Qwa Luten which is also on Quadra Island). Painter's Lodge was just ok, I thought. And while April Point was quite nice, being on the island means you have to deal with taking the ferry back and forth--the island is nice and relaxing, but doesn't have *that* much going on in terms of outdoor activities. If you really want to be in the middle of beautiful scenery and outdoor activities you might consider Strathcona Park Lodge (although it's definitely on the more rustic side than either of the other two places).

Are you going to Tofino at another point in your trip? If not, any reason why you're thinking of these two places and not Tofino?
Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

hi NW,

Thanks. I did look at Strathcona and have not ruled that out. Painters or April was supposed to be one stop during a several stop trip. We've already visited Vancouver, Whistler, Yoho, and Banff, and this time wanted to explore Vancouver Island and the gulf island area. We do have 2 teens, so we need to avoid the quiet B&B-type islands, which might be too boring for our active family. Also want to do some golfing. I will look into Tofino, too. Any recommendations?

thanks,
dina
Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM

For golfing have you considered Crown Isle?
http://www.crownisle.com/
Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:16 AM

I really like the cabins at the Middle Beach Lodge in Tofino, so that's something to look at. I just came back from being there over the Christmas holiday and we rented a house this time--I posted a trip report a day or two ago if you're interested. Tofino has LOTS of outdoor activities, so I think it would be a great choice--I prefer it overall to the Campbell River area, although Strathcona Park is quite beautiful.

Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM

I stayed at Painters last June and did fish for eight hours, catching one fish with about 15 minutes to spare. Paiinters is a nice spot, definitely is catering a lot to corporate outings though the rooms could use some renovations. I heard good reports from others in our group that really enjoyed the 'eco-tour'. I made the ferry trip to April Point and it seemed to be nice, especially the spa right on the bluff. I know you can rent scooters and I think bikes too to travel around Quadra Island. It looks like an excellent place for biking. There are pretty strong ocean currents in the area so I would caution canoe or kayaking without some local knowledge.
Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

NW- Wow. Middle Beach Lodge in Tofino looks beautiful. I will definitely contact them. What kinds of activities did you enjoy there? (although we will be traveling during the summer)

April-
thanks for the crowne isle resort. have you stayed there? We thought we would start our trip at the Westin Bear Mountain golf resort in the south because we have free nights through Starwood. I'm worried it would be too much of the same thing.

lunabug-
thanks for your comments about Painters Lodge and April Point. When were you there? I was hoping the waters would be calm in the summer.

thanks again everyone. i really appreciate your input!!

dina
Jan 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM

No I have never stayed at Crown Isle and I don't golf.

But if the choice was between Quadra Island (which I think of a day trip sort of visit) and Tofino, I would pick Tofino.
Jan 4th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like everyone really loves Tofino.

And, by the way, that was a really nice, informative trip report, NWWanderer.

thanks.
Jan 4th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Thanks! Tofino is one of my favorite places--I've been there a whole bunch of times in the summer as well as a couple of winter trips.

In the summer, some of the outdoor activities I've done are: hike every trail in Pacific Rim Nat'l Park (although the Rainforest trails were closed last week due to damage from the recent windstorm--hopefully they will be repaired by summer); half day sea kayaking trip to Meares Island (I've done this several times and it's a great trip); full day whale watching/bear viewing/hot springs trip by zodiac boat; overnight sea kayaking trip to Vargas Island where you stay in the rustic Vargas Island Inn. And that just scratches the surface. There is always more to do in Tofino than you have time for, I've found!
Jan 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

THANKS. those are exactly the kinds of activities we are looking for!

dina
Jan 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Dina, we were there in early June 2006. The weather was really nice and the water was calm .. except for the narrow channel where the tide was going in (out?). Here there were whirlpools that looked that they might swallow a small boat.

We also golfed at the local course in Campbell River - Storey Creek - This was one of the nicest courses I have played. The island deer are on the course and are half the size of the mainland whitetail and mule deer I am used to seeing.
Jan 4th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Lunabug,

Thanks for the water warnings. Glad to know the weather was nice.

thanks for the golf recommendations. how far is the drive to Storey Creek?

dina
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM

Dina, Storey Creek is about 20 minutes from Painters. When you arrive there is not a fancy club house to impress you but I'll bet the course will.

I was in the area with a friend who used to live west of Campbell River at Gold River - We drove there and golfed at the Gold River golf Club. - This is one of the most scenic nine holers I have played. Rustic it was but some of the holes compared with the best designer courses.

For hiking info you may want to get 'Hiking Vancouver Island' by Shannon and Lissa Cowan.
Jan 6th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Lunabug-
thanks for the tips. my husband and son always try to find a good golf course when on vacation, so i took note of those 2. Thanks for the hiking book recommendation, too.

dina