Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Halifax airport question (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/halifax-airport-question-713177/)

cmcfong Jun 14th, 2007 10:39 AM

Halifax airport question

Hello. I will be traveling as part of a group. I will arrive about an hour ahead of the others and pick up a rental car. Assuming on time arrivals, would it be plausible for me to run to a grocery store and pick up a cooler and some basics before the others arrive? Thanks.

klam_chowder Jun 14th, 2007 11:18 AM

There's a liquor store right in the airport so you can just buy it there. It's a gov't-run one so the prices would be the same anywhere. Save you some running around. The aiport is tiny so you'll have no prob finding it.

I know you said cooler but I'll mention wines as well (and will probably get flamed but oh well!) NS wines are terrible - don't bother picking up a few bottles to "try it".

As for groceries, the airport is in the middle of nowhere...I can't think of the nearest supermarket. The names of the ones here are Sobeys and Atlantic Superstore if you want to look them up.

I'm not sure how far away the closest one is but you won't have to worry about traffic coming in or out of the airport or surrounding area or finding parking when you return from getting groceries - as I mentioned the place is tiny.

Enjoy-la!

cmcfong Jun 14th, 2007 11:36 AM

Thanks, klam chowder. I appreciate it. As long as I can pick up some beer and soft drinks, we will be good to go till morning.

Tanya Jun 14th, 2007 03:02 PM

Where are you staying the 1st night? The previous post is correct, there is a liquor store at the airport. Do pick up what you want there. As for ice/cooler/softdrinks, if you are heading into Halifax it shouldn't be a problem Just let me know your first destination

cmcfong Jun 14th, 2007 06:26 PM

Hi Tanya, We are staying at Cambridge Suites and will head for PEI the next morning. Any suggestions would be welcomed. We will be staying at Dalvay by the Sea and returning for a short stay at Annapolis Royal before heading to Halifax (we will do a loop through Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg). Our last night will be at Cambridge Suites.

I welcome any ideas or suggestions you have.

Tanya Jun 14th, 2007 11:28 PM

The Cambridge has small fridges in each suite. You could always take a soft-sided cooler as one of your bags and then use when you arrived in NS. You could go to Sobey's in Fall River. When you leave the airport, head to Halifax. Keep to the right of the Highway and take Exit 5 - Fall River - and turn left off the ramp. Sobey's is at the next set of lights. The other option is to wait until you get to the Cambridge. There is a Sobey's store not far from there and also within walking distance Pete's Froutique.

As for heading to PEI, if you want to explore some of NS on your way, you could take two routes. If taking Confederation Bridge, the Sunrise Trail is a lovely drive or take the Glooscap Trail towards Parrsboro and then cut over to Amherst. If taking the ferry, I would suggest spending a few hours in and around Pictou.

cmcfong Jun 15th, 2007 03:55 AM

Thank you for your recommendations, Tanya. You are so helpful.

klam_chowder Jun 15th, 2007 04:02 AM

cmcfong, since you mention beer, I'll add that there's one really popular here, with literally 90%+ of the mkt share: Alexander Keiths. As you prolly know, those are crzy #'s so much so that they don't even worry about the microbrews here and I've heard actually help them develop!

I'm a vodka drinker myself so can't attest to the taste of it but as they say here, "those who like it, like it a lot"...LOL!

And btw, if you find yourself with time, their brewery has a tour. I was surprised it was done so well, some history of the city thrown it, etc. Worth your time. It's located at The Brewery Market (on Lower Water Str, across from the Boardwalk).

Ask anyone on the street and they'll be able to tell you where it is. It's in an historic building, that also has a great farmer's market, including local artisans' work, on Saturday mornings (7-12) if you like that kind of thing.

Enjoy-la!

cmcfong Jun 15th, 2007 04:12 AM

I do like that sort of thing, klam chowder. Thank you for the tip. I am a Corona drinker but usually switch to a Canadian beer during my visits. I will definitely try your suggestion! I am afraid we will miss the farmers' market, etc as we will not be in Halifax except the nights of arrival and departure. BUT...I am filing the information for the next trip! I appreciate the help.