Gryo Beach Resort Motel- Kelowna

Jul 26th, 2004, 12:15 PM
DS
Original Poster

Gryo Beach Resort Motel- Kelowna

Hi there,

I'm turning to the friendly fodorites for info on the above mentioned motel in Kelowna. I realize it's a budget motel.. We are a family of 4 looking for a clean, quiet and safe place to spend a couple of nights while in Kelowna (Aug long weekend).

Our budget is around C$110/night. We're also looking for a suite with a kitchenette.

I have had some bad experience by not staying in a "chain" hotel in Vancouver once so am just looking for reviews about this place... good or bad.

Many thanks
-D.
Jul 27th, 2004, 07:45 PM

OK I'll bite, since no one else is talking to you. Since I live in Kelowna, I have never stayed at the Gyro Beach Motel, so I cannot give a review of the place, but I can tell you that it is in a great location if you are wanting to be close to the beach.
It is located across the street from Gyro beach park, which is one of the nicest beaches in Kelowna. Not downtown though. It is the place to see and be seen if you are under 25. Lots of volley ball happening here, but it is also a great beach for families because the beach is wide and sandy, and the water is shallow for a long ways out. There is a play structure right at the beach for kids as well. This is certainly a safe location, but I don't know how quiet it will be, as it is located on a busy street, and the Aug long weekend is always crazy busy.
You will be close to a grocery store and some family restaurants, and DQ. "Rock the Bluff" is happening this weekend as well. Reba is on Friday night and LeAnn Rimes is on Saturday.
If you are looking for a Kitchenette you might also take a look at the Siesta Motor Inn, the Mission Park Inn or the Pandosy Inn. They are all the the same area as Gyro.
Check out
www.siestamotorinn.com
www.missionparkinn.com
www.pandosyinn.com
The Siesta is probably the nicest of the bunch, but a little further up the road from the beach.
You might want to check out the Lakeshore Inn also. www.lakeshoreinn.com
Not sure if they have kitchens, but it is the only "motel" style place right on the water.
If you have any other questions just ask
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:04 AM
DS
Original Poster

Thanks Lynette.

I had checked with Siesta Inn and Mission Park Inn and they did not have any rooms available for the dates we were looking at. I think they both look better than the Gyro (based on what I see on their respective websites) but at this point, I guess we're lucky to have the Gyro reservation since Aug long weekend is pretty crazy busy.

I'm thinking Rock The Bluff is some kind of rock-fest.. is that taking place right on the gyro beach park?
if that's the case, i doubt things will be anywhere near "quiet".

since you live in the area and me, being a first time visitor to kelowna and area, what are some of the things you highly recommend that I see/do.. any ideas on day trips to nearby places (penticton?) are also much appreciated.

Thanks again.
-D

Jul 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Hi D
Hey I hope you really enjoy your visit to Kelowna. If you like hot weather, and a casual atmosphere, you will have a great time.
Rock the bluff is a weekend concert series. It takes place on the bluff overlooking Kelowna on the westside. No where near where you are staying. The August concert has more of a country rock flavor with Reba McIntyre and LeAnne Rimes.
Since Gyro is just 10 minutes down the road from where I live, I will take a drive by, and take a good look at it for you.
Depending on your family age group, there is sooooo much to see and do here. Are Kids involved, and what ages, and what do you like to do?
There are numerous beaches, golf courses, wineries, great restaurants,
Biking and hiking trails, and the list goes on.
If you have kids, Scandia (mini golf and arcade) Malibu Grand Prix (formula one race cars and bungy jump) Mariners Reef Waterslides on the Westside.
Every weekend there is live music at Kerry park, right downtown. It is local and free. Bring a blanket or chairs and hang out.
If you want to do a lake cruise, check out the Fintry Queen Schedule, It is like an old fashioned river steamboat, and does both day and evening cruises.
In Summerland, there is the Ornimental gardens, and Summerland Sweets (they make fruit syrups and jams here) You can take a tour, and taste all kinds of syrups, and get yummy ice cream.
As fas as fresh fruit goes, you might still get late season cherries, apricots are in full swing, and peaches as just getting started.
If you want any more info on anything, just ask
Aug 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
DS
Original Poster

Hey Lynette:

WE got back Monday night after a fabulous trip to kelowna and area. Our motel turned out to be all right. As you said the location was fabulous, right across Gyro Beach. On the first day (evening by the time we reached there), we relaxed on the beach and took a stroll down Lakeshore Dr. On day 2, we visited Kelowna Land and Orchard (self guided walking tour), Summerhill Winery, lounging in the huge park downtown followed by a boat rental in the evening.. zipping down Lake Okanagan at 40mph was tons of fun. and later enjoyed the free concert that was going on ..
On Day 3, we drove to Westbank (U-Pick place), Penticton and Naramata (visited the local fair!) with brief stops at Peachland and Summerland. We wanted to go to Summerland Sweets, but being Sunday they were closed.

On Monday we started our drive back to cow-town with a brief stop at Shuswap Lake in Sicamous.

I really love your neck of the woods.. next time I will come and spend more time and tour more wineries!
It was a great weekend to be in the Okanagan as it was blazing hot!

Thanks for your help..
Aug 5th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Glad to hear you had a good time, and that you enjoyed so much that this area has to offer.
Take care