Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Grizzlies - tours out of Campbell River??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here gone to see bears in
Bute Inlet (about a 2hr boat tour from
Campbell River)

There is a group which runs tours from there. Also, there is a fancy-looking resort on the other side which also seems to offer bear viewing, as well as other outings in Bute Inlet.

Prices high...but when I compare to 'simpler' operation out of Telegraph Cove, which is a much further drive for us...I wonder which would be better?

Prices seem similar.
Bear Watching out of Telegraph Cove seems higher this year...and when we add 2 people
it comes up to about what it would cost to stay one night at this snazzy resort in Bute Inlet area.

Thanks in advance for any feedback re: this area!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:04 AM

You might want to have a look at some of the wildlife tours offered on Quadra Island, which is about 10 minutes from Campbell River by ferry. A few years ago we stayed at Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge on Quadra and they had an arrangement with one of the tour operators; it wasn't horribly pricy, from what I can recall. We saw bears, eagles, amazing scenery - I can't remember the name of the company that ran it, unfortunately, but perhaps you could check with Tsa-Kwa-Luten. I think their URL is www.capemudgeresort.ca - it's a lovely place to stay, too, if you're looking for accommodation.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!!

I just had seen something about a place called Sonora Resort which you get to by way of Campbell river or direct flights from Vancouver. (not an option for us)

Also, some group only leading trips from Campbell River w/out the lodge aspects. Thanks for the tip!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Check out this kayaking trip to see the bears

http://www.coastmountainexpeditions....-watching.html
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks for links!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 02:51 AM

The fall bear viewing trips starting from Telegraph Cove are very popular. During fall you will watch the bears from a viewing platform and the platform has a limited capacity of 4 people. So each trip can accommodate only 8 people, as there are 2 viewing platforms close together and each platform can accommodate 4 people. You have to book the fall trips serveral month in advance, otherwise you will not get a place on the viewing platform.

If you choose another trip into the inlets (like bute inlet), then you have to ask, if you view the bears from boat or platform. The platform viewing is very intensive. We saw 20 grizzly bears within a time frame of 2 hours from the viewing platform. I am not sure, if you see the same number of bears on boat only trip. I have read, that the bears in Knight Inlet are used to human visitors and the noice of the transfer bus (required from the shore line to the viewing platform) is like a ringing bell for lunch. The males avoid the humans, but bears with cubs visit the river close to the platform when they hear the bus.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom!

Yes, it seems that the tours that leave from Campbell River also have platforms...go daily & cost a fair amount less.

Would LOVE to do Tide Rip but not sure if we can get spaces, when we can go to Vanc. Island. Will keep trying.
Thanks again!

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Tide rip tours has an online calender on their homepge and you can make a first availibility check their.