Vancouver, BC to somewhere in Alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks, I am in the early stages of planning our first road trip north from our new home in Vancouver, BC. We are looking to spend about 14 days in total around June, July, August 2013. We want to camp (Pickup camper) along the way rather than use hotels. We do a lot of camping, hiking, fishing in BC so we are not new to the idea just new to the specific route. we really want to hear ideas of where to stop/stay, best routes for up and back, contacts info of outfitters you really liked for some outdoor adventures, really anything you think will help plan our trip. Oh and we obviously have not even settled on an ultimate destination in Alaska so that is up for discussion as well. We want to do some river fishing, camping, hiking, fun outdoor activities along the way where possible. Thanks!
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 09:07 AM

Two weeks isn't enough time to do/see much unless you take a ferry from Bellingham.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM
ltt

you might want to check out http://www.rv.net/forum/ - they might have more helpful information for you. 2 weeks isn't long and make sure you take at least 2 spare tires.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM

Found your thread because of your revival of the years-old thread elsewhere.

When I drove to Alaska I was perfectly content to do the round-trip via the full Alaska Highway. Yet if I lived in BC I would indeed attempt to come and go via different-ish routes, particularly if I drove a pick-up. That because I'd then be more interested in <i>my province</i> and in seeing more of it. BC is 1-and-a-third the size of Texas! (and you'll soon understand...)

I'm guessing when I suggest making the trip up via Dawson Creek and getting the full effect of the Alaska Highway before arranging a return journey via Highway #37 (Cassiar Highway, south from Watson Lake).

The time it takes to cover the alternative paths between Watson Lake, YT and Prince George, BC is very near to the same.

You really do have to cover a whole lot of territory every day - although that is less important if intending to camp in your vehicle along the way.

Obviously your first move would be to get the Mile Post guidebook.

My personal sense of the best area along the whole path was Kluane Lake, YT (west of Whitehorse).

As for Alaska, you'd surely target either Anchorage or Fairbanks, with the highlight of either being the path there, and <b>not the destination itself</b>.

Were it me, driving a pick-up and leaving from Vancouver, I might try to make it all the way to Chetwynd, BC (676 miles) or even Dawson Creek (738 miles) in one day. The more ground you cover when it doesn't matter so much, the more <b>time</b> you can use when it does matter.

(you can make short trips in that direction in the future, if merely wanting to see something relatively near to your home)

Whitehorse, YT is 872 miles from Dawson Creek, with Anchorage, AK another 702 miles beyond that.

So, in summation, Vancouver to Anchorage is 2312 (miles) (3757 km).

I'm not the outdoorsy type, but if I were guessing at areas of interest for such people, along that path, I'd first contemplate Kluane Lake, YT... then consider Teslin Lake, YT, Muncho Lake, BC, and various locations in SE Alaska.

Guessing you could identify spots you would most favor, just from further web research, and tailor your path to match.

Most of what you see along the way will be from your moving vehicle and even so, you will seldom top some of the visuals. Be ready for miles and miles of just you, the road you're on, and THICK forest all around when you get up to Northern BC. The mountain scenery once IN Alaska doubles the appeal to just driving along an endless highway.

You probably can't go wrong in selecting various spots to absorb nature out beyond your truck, but I'll let others who are more informed handle that part.
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Very good, thanks all! I appreciate the thoughful responses and look forward to any others people can offer. Regards.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM

This just in, courtesy of other Fodorites:

A GREAT travel blog depicting much of the area between Vancouver into and around Alaska, up via Dawson Creek and the Alaska Highway, and back via the Cassiar Highway.

Have a look at this website for further inspiration:

http://www.theconstantrambler.com/ca...to-dead-horse/