Notices

Grand Pre, Nova Scotia

Jun 12th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Grand Pre, Nova Scotia

We are going to Halifax for one day via cruise ship. Can anyone give some insight into looking into French/Acadian roots there? I am trying to decide whether to skip Halifax and hire guide to see Grande Pre. I just do not know if we would be missing too much by missing Halifax in favor of the Grand Pre experience.
Jun 12th, 2013, 11:33 PM

It will take about an hour from Halifax to reach Grand Pré. If the purpose of your trip is to research your French/Acadian roots I am not sure there are facilities to do that.

At the Grand Pré National Park there is a Visitor Reception and Interpretation Centre that contains a large exhibit hall on the history of Grand Pré and Acadia. Visitors can learn about the story of the deportation of the French by viewing a theatre presentation and visiting the restored Church allegedly where the Acadians were gathered. More information can be found in http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/grandpre/index.aspx

Halifax is a very historic City and should not be missed. However a trip to Grand Pré will give you a chance to view the Bay of Fundy which is down the road from the Park.
Jun 13th, 2013, 05:44 AM

I agree - there's not much at Grand Pré for ancestry research. It's more set up to present the historic experience of the settlement at Grand Pré and the deportation from that area generally. It's quite a good interpretative experience with a small museum and film presentation, plus there's the relatively modern memorial church (it's not the original church, the site of which is still undiscovered) and the pretty grounds.

However, I'm not sure it's worth the trek if you only have one day. Halifax is a wonderful city to explore for history (the Citadel, the Maritime Museum, even strolling along the waterfront).
Jun 13th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! That does help a lot in making my decision. I am opting for Halifax.

Search this Thread