Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Business trip to Toronto, any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 01:15 PM
Kelly

I will be going to Toronto for only a few days on business. I love to travel for pleasure, any suggestions to keep me from falling asleep in the hotel room? Any places not to be missed?

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 07:43 PM
Donna

We just returned and had a fabulous time! Though "touristy", we thoroughly enjoyed the CN Tower. The museums are wonderful. Casa Loma is spectacular! A castle on the outside, but a beautiful and comfortable home on the inside, overlooking the city below. And, the shopping! If you are looking for additions to your business wardrobe (or anything else) there are fabulous shops in the Bloor-Yorkville area. We loved a bar called "Nawlins" on King St., where there is a terrific piano player every night. The jazz upstairs at the Senator (Victoria & Dundas) was also terrific and the room is ambience par excellence. The bar "Panorama" (excellent "bar food" here) is awesome, especially at sunset. It's on the 51st floor of the Manulife Center and the views are fabulous. More fabulous views at the Roof at the Park Plaza. Very comfortable, "clubby" style lounge with an outdoor terrace. The people in Toronto are SO friendly and so amusing! When we dropped into the neighborhood bar across the street from our hotel, we were welcomed and regaled with the funniest stories. You could also just hop on a streetcar or bus, day or night, and just ride around. The uniqueness of each neighborhood is incredibly interesting and the scenery everywhere is worth a look. If you get really bored, or the weather is nasty, head for Eaton Center (huge indoor mall) or the PATH (underground mall after mall. Another terrific place is Chapters bookstore on Bloor (with Starbucks cafe). This place is book heaven. If you have more specific questions, feel free to e-mail. Have a wonderful time!

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 08:03 PM
Brian Kilgore

If we knew more about your interests, we could offer more specific advice. The Toronto restaurant listings within the Fofor's restaurant guide are accurate, except marketta is closed. Great museum (Royal Ontario Museum) and ARt Gallery of Ontario, plus excellent private galleries. Thre big-time live theaters operate most nights, plus a half-dozen more off-broadway caliber shows most nights. If you have a serious hobby, there's probably a good store and resource center here. Downtown is walkable throughout the evening; just wander around teh Yorkville area and drop into several bars for a drink. <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 08:22 PM
Marco D'Aloisio

<BR> Well, I just read the previous two postings and they are VERY good. Just a couple of things you might be interested in. There is our Yorkdale mall ( I am a Torontonian) which you can get to by subway. Just take the northbound University line (the yellow one). The third or second last stop is the Yorkdale stop. <BR> There is also our original "Little Italy" which is on College Street, west of Bathurst. You can get off at the College subway stop and take the street car westbound to just past Bathurst. There are some really cool bars and restaurants there. <BR> That's all. Hope you have fun here. Ciao

Old Oct 13th, 1998, 09:44 PM
geo

Toronto has a great Chinatown. Also Greektown. You can find many fabulous restaurants in these and other ethnic areas. <BR> <BR>Also the Subway is one of the easiest to figure out in the world -- and very safe, day or night. <BR> <BR>Check out TO TIX on the top floor of the Eaton Centre for half-price tickets to any play that you fancy. "Phantom" is in its 10th year there. There is plenty of theatre in Toronto, and the 1/2 price tix is a great bargain. <BR> <BR>