Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Going from Banff to Many Glacier without flying
Notices

Going from Banff to Many Glacier without flying

Apr 16th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Going from Banff to Many Glacier without flying

My husband and I are flying into Edmonton and spending Sept 4-12 in Canada, departing from Banff and going to Many Glacier Montana. We are so excited to be in the beautiful Canadian Rockies and finish in the beautiful Many Glacier Park in Montana. We just booked our flights and went to book our car rental and found we cannot take a rental car over the border. Any suggestions on how we get from Banff to Many Glacier without flying?
Apr 16th, 2017, 10:58 AM

I cannot specifically assist, other than confirming what you have discovered. However, post this also in the U.S. forum, as it is much more active.

Have you looked into bus transport? You'll need a car over on the U.S. side as well.
Apr 16th, 2017, 07:45 PM

We flew to Calgary last year and rented a car that we drove into the US to visit Glacier. We rented and returned the car to Calgary. I can't remember for sure, but I think we rented from Avis. Check the different websites for the car rental agencies at the Calgary airport. I had first rented from either Budget or Dollar, and then found I couldn't cross the border into the US. That's when I did some research and found a company that would let us do it. We are US citizens. If you are citizens of another country that might complicate your situation.
Apr 17th, 2017, 02:16 PM

In general, there is no problem in taking a car across the US/CAN border, regardless of your citizenship. The issue is one-way rentals. Other than Seattle-Vancouver, it's usually impossible to get a one way rental across the US/CAN border out west. I think one person managed to do so between Kalispell and Calgary, but with a pretty nasty one-way fee.

There are some companies that may not allow cross-border rentals, but all of the major companies should allow it if you request. Try National, Enterprise, Avis, Hertz etc. Just make sure you ask about the contract - often it will be unlimited mileage in Canada, but become pay per km once you cross the border. So be clear on the terms.

Car is your only option -- there are no buses or trains across the border between AB and Montana. Even Greyhound requires transit via Vancouver/Abbotsford. There used to be a hiker shuttle between Waterton and Glacier NP, but I've heard that has been discontinued. In any case, it wouldn't help for this trip since there is no public transport to Waterton NP.
Flying is pain because there are no direct flights from Calgary to any of the airports near Glacier NP. You have to connect through Seattle or another airport.

Essentially the only option is to do a round trip to Calgary. Or see if you can do Calgary to Kalispell (I think it might have been through National, but can't remember).

Search this Thread