Reload this Page >

Getting around without a car in Vancouver with a 4 year old

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
mpg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Vancouver in October. Staying at Westin Bayshore. We prefer to use public transit and cabs to get around. Is this a mistake or do we really need a car? We'd really like a break from cars for a week. Also, I'd love a carless-in-Vancouver kid-friendly itinerary so that we use the best transit routes possible to get from place to place.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM

No worries-compared to most cities Vancouver is transit heaven.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM

www.findfamilyfun.com is an excellent source for getting information on kid-friendly activities. I highly encourage you to look through that site, as it's a local family that put that together, getting their kids to write about all the different attractions and what they liked (and didn't like) about them.

Stanley Park, (the Vancouver Aquarium, the kid's waterpark, the petting zoo, the kid's train) are all withing a short walking distance from your hotel. I suggest studying a map of Stanley Park, as it's 1000 acres and sometimes people miss crucial parts of the park because they only stick to the eastern end (heavily touristy) areas, which lack the beaches and the feeling of being out of the city.

There's also a really nice swimming pool popular with families on the western side of Stanley Park by Second Beach. It's one of the nicest parts of the park. There's also lots of grassy areas, a children's playground, picnic sites, change rooms, concession stand, etc. Perhaps walk to the western side of the park by walking along Lost Lagoon. Lots Lagoon is a large pond/lake and a bird sanctuary, and Second Beach is on the other side.

Third Beach (located a 10 minute walk north of Second Beach) is my favourite beach for sitting on the sand, enjoying a hot dog, soaking up the sun. Both beaches are family-oriented and the waves that hit Vancouver's beaches are really tiny (as Vancouver Island 30 miles offshore absorbs the big waves).

You can walk along the seawall from Secound Beach south to English Bay, and continue walking along the seawall until you get to the False Creek Ferry or Aquabus docks. For $2.50 per person you can ride the little passenger ferries across to Granville Island. Granville Island is fun for families - good marketplace, a kid's waterpark, a surreal toy store shopping plaza called "Kids Only" (when I was 4 years old, it was my favourite place)! And there are gift shops, craft shops, art studios, and restaurants to tour as well.

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM

Go with public transit and get a pass. I think a car would be a huge mistake. Parking can be difficult and traffic in the downtown core is quite heavy.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM

Go to the transit authority site:
http://www.translink.bc.ca/Transport...em/default.asp

Lots of useful info and print off some of the maps. I was glad I did.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Vancouver is a relatively small city, and if you don't mind a bit of walking, it's pretty much all doable on foot or via the bus.
Carmanah has given you some great advice on things to do..I don't have kids so I can't really help with recommendations, but I can tell you that I only use my car once every week or so, and I live out in the 'burbs - the transit system here is great.