Vancouver to Jasper

Search

Vancouver to Jasper

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver to Jasper

Would welcome suggestions/recommendations from all the experts out there. Just beginning to plan our 3 week Canadian Rockies/Pacific NW driving adventure in early Sept, 2011. My question is concerning recommendations as to where to stay (town/hotel) in between Vancouver and Jasper. From Jasper, we will be heading South to Banff and areas further south. Thanks
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 05:32 PM

Hello lovingretirement (lucky you!) - I am by no means a Canadian expert but we covered Vancouver to Jasper a few years ago. Not sure if you wanted the most direct route or just places to visit? (We actually went Seattle, Victoria, Tofino, Whistler, Wells Gray park Clearwater BC, Jasper.)

One of the best tips that I gained from Fodors and the very helpful 'Judy in Calgary' (not sure if she posts anymore?) was to go via Wells Gray park. This 'less often mentioned' gem was spectacular and we wish we had allocated more time there. Let me know if I can help with more info, someone local may be able to chip in more more.
http://www.wellsgray.ca/
have fun, it is a beautiful part of the world!
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 09:29 PM

Hello lovingretirment,

Although I have not driven that route, I know that Wells Gray park or Clearwater is one of the normal stopover points when driving from Vancouver to Jasper. I believe it takes approx 5 to 5.5 hours of driving time to get there from Vancouver. I live near Banff so when I go to Vancouver it is the route on hwy 1 going west through to Revelstoke and onwards that I take.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks ozgirl and travelbug3007. I'll pull out my maps and check out Wells Gray park and Clearwater.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been to Jasper several times always by train (ViaRail).
Several times I by myself and with my wife stayed at the hostel about 2 miles SW of town. If you can afford it and can get the reservation, the lodge at Lake Louise is beautiful.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM

<i>the lodge at Lake Louise is beautiful.</i>

Are you referring to Deer Lodge?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM

The only hotel right at Lake Louise is the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Deer Lodge is located on the road just before reaching the Chateau property, but is not at the lake. You could walk to the lake from it in about 5 minutes or so.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

any comments regarding Deer Lodge?? Fairmont seems really great but not sure if we want to spring for the $$$$. Maybe $$$.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Deer Lodge is one of my favorite places. But it depends on what you are looking for. It's more casual vs. formal. The "original" rooms are quite small but lovely. Excellent restaurant.