Reload this Page >

Ft. Garry or Fairmont in Winnipeg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:24 PM
JX

<BR>We're going to visit Winnipeg next week for one night. We don't know much about either hotel, but which has nicer rooms -- the Ft. Garry (sp?) or the Fairmont? Is there another hotel we should be considering? Any experiences? Thanks for any stories you can share on the subject....

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Mary

I live in Winnipeg, and have never stayed at the Fairmont. I have stayed at the Fort Garry. It is a classy hotel, that has been around for years. It has been upgraded over the years. Beautiful decor inside. One of the first hotels built in the city. It has been years since I stayed in it, but is still very popular. It is close to everything, located downtown, close to the Forks etc. They have a website: www.fortgarryhotel.com Hope this helps!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Lisa

I would recommend staying at the Fairmont. Although the Fort Garry has more "history", the rooms and amenities are nicer at the Fairmont. If you want, you can go for tea or something at the Fort Garry to soak up the atmoshpere.<BR><BR>Air Canada Websaver puts out a special every Wed. and they often have good rates for the Fairmont winnipeg.<BR><BR>check out www.aircanada.ca<BR><BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Bruce Hayes

I have stayed in Winnipeg dozens of times over the years and have stayed at both hotels. I agree with the Fairmont.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Jen

I stayed at the Fairmont in July of last year. While an adequate hotel, it certainly does not match up to Fairmont standards. I've stayed at other Fairmonts and the room in this one was run down in comparison. While in Winnipeg last week, I stayed at the Sheraton and the room here was also motel like. The parking garage was a disaster and potential fire hazard. I'm starting to think that Winnipeg hotels don't live up to the higher standars of other larger cities. I've only had good experiences at the Delta there. They also have a popular pub, the Elephant and Castle, downstairs. Also, I noticed a brand new Holiday Inn on Portage Ave that was centrally located and looked quite nice.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:13 PM
JX

<BR>Thanks for the input, everybody. I booked the Fairmont. I called and was told that they have renovated the upper floors this past year, and the rate was quite good. Off to Winnipeg!<BR><BR>Thanks again.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:44 AM
JX

<BR>Hi -- just returned from trip to Winnipeg, and I have to say the Fairmont far exceeded our expectations.<BR><BR>This hotel is in an ideal location in this city (Portage & Main, I think?), and has recently undergone some renovations. We asked for a renovated room and it was terrific. It was a corner room, which probably attributed to the large size. All furnishings very sleek and contemporary (think Barbara Barry if you're a furniture nut) and at $129 CDN a night, it was an absolute bargain. While I agree with the previous poster that this does hotel does not quite compare with other Fairmont hotels we've stayed at, it still surpassed what I expected for a small city. Wonderful room.