Search

Victoria

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria

My hubby and I are planning a 2 or 3 day stay around Victoria prior to a two week stay in Qualicum Beach. We are going in mid June and want to see Butchart Gardens for sure but wonder whether it's a good idea to stay in Sidney as we will be flying. Will be renting a car from Victoria so we are wondering whether it makes sense to leave Victoria on a Sat. Morning on a ferry to Salt Spring Island for the market there and then get on a ferry back towards Qualicum Beach? Thank you
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:00 PM

I would not stay in Sidney if my main goal was seeing Victoria, but it depends on what time you arrive by plane. If you are only spending a couple of days and your priority is Buchart Gardens and then the ferry to Saltspring, then perhaps it may make sense to stay in Sidney.

On the other hand, you could spend the day at Buchart Gardens, and visit Sidney, maybe have lunch but head into Victoria for the hotels. I always try to stay in/around the inner harbour. You can park the car and just walk everywhere. Lots of tourist sites, restaurants, shopping etc. It is a very pretty area

If however, you want to take the ferry to Saltspring, it may make sense to sleep in Sidney and just spend the day in Victoria to sightsee

You can certainly take the ferry from Sidney to Saltspring for the day and then return to Crofton on the ferry from Saltspring to head to Qualicum Beach. Salt spring has three ferry destinations, Victoria (Sidney), Crofton, (mid island) and Vancouver.
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:31 AM

I'd stay in Victoria and only rent the car your last day there when you are ready to leave. The bus system was easy to use when we went last year- the bus from Sidney to Victoria was a newish double decker. There are buses from Victoria to the gardens and I prefer walking over driving in Victoria.
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:39 AM

That is, unless you are satisfied with only an afternoon in Victoria- but I think there's a lot more to see (and eat) in Victoria than in Sidney.
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Could anyone recommend a place in Victoria to stay we do have our dog with us?
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:54 AM

This would probably be a good place to start: (I usually do Victoria as a day trip, and never have taken my dog, so I can't recommend anything in particular)

http://www.petfriendly.ca/rentals.ph...&city=Victoria

Ah. Well, a dog changes the car rental situation, probably- I could be wrong, but I don't think I've seen dogs on the buses over there. Have you found a dog friendly car rental place? (Curious for my own sake, I've never found a rental place that is dog friendly, but maybe Canada is different)
Old May 10th, 2015, 11:38 AM

I recommend the Admiral Inn. It is in a great location right on the inner harbor. The rates are more reasonable than the high rise hotels and is very dog friendly. The pet rooms are on the first floor so its easy to take them out - no worries about an elevator etc. Very comfortable accommodation.
http://www.admiralinnhotel.com/pet-friendly
Old May 11th, 2015, 06:32 AM

I have stayed at the Admiral inn many times, basic rooms but great location and nice staff.