Freedom of speech in reviews

Aug 14th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Original Poster
Freedom of speech in reviews

I recently stayed in a cottage managed by PEI Vacation Properties. They manage such properties as the Island Crest Chalet, Stanhope Chalet, Dragonfly Landing and Ocean Dunes. After my stay in one of the cottages, I wrote a review. The review was not nasty. I simply pointed out that we had no toilet paper or propane and the toilet was plugged. Now the management company is holding our damage deposit until we retract the review. The easiest thing to do would be to give in. However, I can't forfeit my basic human right for $1000. What should I do?
Aug 15th, 2017, 02:04 AM
Start with Tourism Department of PEI, try contacting the Tourism Association of PEI, Small Claims Court.

Hopefully you have a paper trail of your original complaint and you gave the management company a chance you fix the problems.

So who and when unplugged the toilet, refilled the propane and replaced the toilet paper?
Aug 15th, 2017, 03:26 AM
Doesn’t matter how the complaint was made or handled, you have a right to post your opinion. If the management feel its unfair--if for example your toddler plugged the toilet with a roll of toilet paper--management can post a reply. You must have seen some terms and conditions when you made the booking and paid the damage deposit. What does it say? Don’t know if it is legal for you to withhold your deposit, but it sure is bad business . Where did you post your review--have you contacted the website?
Aug 15th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Original Poster
The management company dropped off propane the next day and sent a plumber out to unplug the toilet. The issue is that after a 15 hour drive, it would be nice to have these basics. The lack of TP and the plugged toilet should have been obvious to the cleaners. There is nothing subtle about a clogged toilet.

Search this Thread