Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Four Points Sheraton in Kingston, Ont (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/four-points-sheraton-in-kingston-ont-237013/)

david Jul 5th, 2002 12:33 PM

Four Points Sheraton in Kingston, Ont

Has anybody any comment, constructive or otherwise, on this establishment? Thanks

Debbie Jul 6th, 2002 06:12 PM

My son goes to Queens University in Kingston so we have stayed at various hotels in the area. The Sheraton is very nice,probably the newest in the downtown area and close to everything for walking. It is NOT directly on the water but a block up.The Ramada is one of the hotels on the water and the views on both sides of the hotel are beautiful. It is about the same in ammenities as the Sheraton but the parking is around the hotel not underground as the Sheraton is. You will really love Kingston if you have never been there-great food,scenery,people and downtown for interesting shops and fun!

4khansen Jul 6th, 2002 07:44 PM

We just stayed there on June 27-29. It is a very nice hotel. Even had free high speed internet for the time being, if you need that. It is very close to the water but not right on the lake. It had a small pool area but adequate. I found parking in Canadian hotels to be really interesting many of them required you to take two different elevators to the room via the lobby, not a real problem but a little awkward.<BR><BR>We got the room on Priceline at the Four Points for $65.00 USD, which I thought was reasonable. You may want to try to bid through them for the dates you need for a 3 star hotel you would get that or one of the others right on the water I'm sure.

Jim Rosenberg Jul 7th, 2002 07:22 AM

That's a very good rate for a nice hotel in Kingston -- a city that seems to be able to hold higher rates, for whatever reason. I don't believe the Four Points Sheraton was there in 1999 when I visited, so that would make it a very new property. There is also a Holiday Inn on the water at the end of Princess Street.<BR>

Louisa Aug 29th, 2002 08:33 AM

I've lived in Kingston all my life so I have some advice. While the big chain hotels are guarenteed to be exactly what you expect and are right downtown, why not go for a bit more personality? There are many many B&Bs very close to downtown, there are even a few along King St within two blocks of the Sheraton. The Belvedere has been a long established small hotel and the Hoshelaga Inn is very popular with people from the states (or as I guess from walking by there parking area!). There is also the Summer House B&B, the B&B on Bagot and many others. Downtown Kingston can only really be enjoyed by walking it and all of the places I have mentioned are within a few blocks of Princess St, the main shopping street. The Downtown area is all about its charm and personality, why not also enjoy the charm of a smaller inn or B&B?<BR><BR>Louisa

Paula Aug 29th, 2002 10:58 AM

I agree with Louisa. With all the lovely inns and B&B's in Kingston, it seems a shame to stay at a chain hotel. Several years ago my husband and I stayed at the Hochelaga Inn. We really enjoyed being within walking distance of the downtown shops and restaurants.