Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Foreigner renting car in Canada - what is required? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/foreigner-renting-car-in-canada-what-is-required-770549/)

mp413 Mar 2nd, 2009 10:26 PM

Foreigner renting car in Canada - what is required?

I am a U.S. citizen and planning to rent a car in Canada. What am I required to show (if anything) in order to get the car? I don't have a valid U.S. driver's license (it was stolen recently when I was in Africa and I haven't had time to renew it yet), but I have a valid international license and passport. Is that enough?

Thanks!

mp413

laverendrye Mar 3rd, 2009 03:16 AM

The International Driver's Licence is not sufficient, as it is only a translation of your US licence and is only valid with it. You will need a current and valid US licence if you wish to rent a car.

mp413 Mar 3rd, 2009 09:59 AM

I actually called a car rental company and they said my international license was fine. My U.S. license is technically valid, I just don't have the physical copy. In other words, I am licensed to drive in the U.S., I just don't have the proof! Hopefully we'll be set with the international license.

thanks!

mp413

laverendrye Mar 3rd, 2009 11:18 AM

You just might want to get that in writing before you leave.

toedtoes Mar 3rd, 2009 07:35 PM

I don't think the car rental company will ask to check - they've never asked to see my license before.

HOWEVER, if you are stopped at any point by law enforcement, not having your actual driver license is going to get you in trouble.

Per the U.S. State Department: These licenses are not intended to replace valid U.S. state licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid U.S. license.

At the very least, I would go in and get a "paper" temporary license from the DMV before going. Carry the paper license, your passport, and your international driver license whenever you are driving.

Better to have it and never get asked for it, then to get asked for it and not have it.

toedtoes Mar 3rd, 2009 07:38 PM

P.S. I wouldn't bet on anything a car rental employee says about what is legal and not legal.

AnselmAdorne Mar 4th, 2009 05:57 AM

I rent about 10 times a year in Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg, and Halifax (most recently five days ago at Toronto Pearson) and have been asked to show my driver's license every time.

I'd be really surprised that an IDL would cut it.

Anselm

mp413 Mar 9th, 2009 12:05 PM

Hi all, just to follow up on my own question - I rented the car from Discount using my int'l license, no problems. Crossed the border twice, didn't have any trouble.

LJ Mar 9th, 2009 12:21 PM

I am amazed...I have never heard of a car rental place not asking to see your licence as a Canadian, but you don't have to if you come from outside the country??? Any other experiences like this before I alert the local highway patrol!