Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

For one week from Lake Placid, NY to Quebec and Nova Scotia and/or New Brunswick

For one week from Lake Placid, NY to Quebec and Nova Scotia and/or New Brunswick

May 29th, 2002, 02:39 AM
Claudia

We will be renting a house for a summer in Lake Placid, NY and thinking about a week-long trip to Canada from there. Is it possible to vist New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in a week? Should we stop in Quebec City this time or make another trip? We are interested in outdoor activities, walking, hiking, birding, beautiful scenary, quiet villages,and driving on roads that are not crowded. Also relaxing and watching sunsets, sunrise and scenary.

Anyone has any opinion if we should plan on visiting both New Brunswick and Nova Scotia on this week-long trip or this is too much?
Any suggestions on routes to take, museums to visit, places to stay and eat in?
I hope you will be able to help me. I thank you and my husband thank you too.

May 29th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Claudia

Please, nice people help me. We are coming all the way from Portugal and hope to get some ideas before we arrive in Lake Placid. Thank you very much

May 29th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Susan

I think you'll probably get some answers a little later today from people who are more familiar with the area. I'll try to answer. First of all, I haven't been to that area myself, but I'm planning to drive from Toronto in September. We have 2 weeks and I'm finding it difficult to limit my itinerary. There seems to be a lot to see there.

I would really advise skipping Quebec City on this trip. If you have only a week, you'll be rushed. You'll probably want a couple of days there. (We've booked 2 nights on our way down to NB and Nova Scotia - we've been there before, but not for many years.) Maybe you could try for a weekend another time in the summer? For a North American city, it seems "European" to us - it's older and while Canada is officially bilingual, English isn't spoken as much in Quebec City.

If you do a search on this forum, you'll find lots of good advice about the Maritimes. Nova Scotia has a good tourism resource book - Doers and Dreamers, it's called. I don't have the website, but you could order it over the internet. It has loads of information on the various areas. We are planning to stay in Halifax, Lunenburg and the Annapolis Royal area (tentative plans at this point). I have decided to leave Cape Breton (which is supposed to be wonderful) for another trip.

I got my information on New Brunswick from CAA (automobile association). There was a good resource book from the NB Tourism ASsociation which they provided me. In NB (again tentative), we're thinking of St. Andrews, Fundy National Park and Frederickton (1 night in transit).

A good website for bed & breakfasts is www.bbcanada.com - they have many many places listed.

Good luck with your plans!

May 29th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Louis

It seems to me that you have a truly European perspective on North America. You don't realize how large the driving distances are between regions of Canada or the U.S.

Given the driving distances, a week seems way too short for what you want too see, unless you don't mind spending all your time in the car.

At most, you could go to the New Brunswick coast or Bay Fundy and perhaps (only perhaps) Cape Breton.

Quebec City is very nice, but you won't have time for that. You should plan 3 days just to visit Quebec City from Lake Placid. It's about a 5-hour drive. Montreal is closer, just 2 hours.

As for the best route, it depends where you want to go in New Brunswick. Gulf of St-Lawrence shore? Bay of Fundy? Again, you must choose, the distances are very large.

May 29th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Tricia

I'm from Nova Scotia and from Lake Placid I would go to Quebec. Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are wonderful but unless you can catch a flight it would be way to much driving. Save Atlantic Canada for a visit when you have time.

May 30th, 2002, 03:56 AM
kklora

Tricia I hope there are not many people in Nova Scotia like you. You don't like tourists, do you? Tell me where you live so I will avoid your town when we visit.

Claudia, I am planning similar trip from Vermont. At first I wanted to see all but I had to narrow down because of distances and limited time. We will go only to Nova Scotia because from what I heard and read it is beautiful.
I need to figure out the best way to get there from Vermont. We also have one week excluding driving time. Susan gave you some good information. Use them and have a pleasant time
When you are in Lake Placid consider visiting Vermont. It is on the other side of Lake Champlain. We love tourists and are always happy to share the beauty of our state

May 30th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Melissa

New Brunswick is closer than Nova Scotia to where you are coming from. So many people just bypass our province. We love tourists. We have amazing beaches, the highest tides in the world, Hopewell rocks are amazing, we have two historical settlements, we are the only bilingual province in Canada, we have museums. We have a vast interior and the Saint John River Valley is beautiful. You can follow it all the way to Fredericton. Along the way visit Grand Falls, Kings Landing, and have a day or two in Fredericton. From here you can go to Moncton where you are close to Hopewell rocks, which are rock formations that the tides have carved, you can actually walk on the sea floor when the tides are out. If you go to Moncton, you are also close to Parlee Beach which is a favorite for locals and tourists. If you like fishing, head to Miramichi which is famous for Salmon. If you like lobster go to Shediac. On you way back to New York State, drive the Fundy coast, and visit Saint John. After leaving Saint John, go to St Andrews which a resort town and it is very nice. There you can go whale watching, kayacking, camping, or you can stay in the historical Algonquin hotel. After leaving St Andrews head for the Maine border, where you can either enjoy that state or catch an interstate highway and go back to New York State. You will have a busy week. Have fun.

May 30th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Sue

Claudia, according to a 'driving planner' known as mapquest.com, it is a 17 hour drive from Lake Placid, New York to Halifax, Nova Scotia. This, of course, is a 35 hour drive, round trip.

It does indeed come down to how much time you want to spend driving. Tricia is right, it may be you want to fly to Halifax, if you wish to see the Maritimes, or only do Quebec City next time. (It is about 2.5 hours drive from Lake Placid to Montreal; couldn't seem to get an answer for driving time to Quebec City, but probably not impossible.)

So you see, kklora, Tricia's response was a genuine attempt to be helpful. I totally agree, fly, or leave it till next time, we are a large area.

May 31st, 2002, 12:32 AM
Claudia

We will visit New Brunswick for one week. Thank you Melissa

May 31st, 2002, 10:44 AM
Melissa

Your welcome, Claudia, NB will be a great choice

Jun 1st, 2002, 03:06 PM
Tricia

To kklora
You are crazy, I would encourage everyone to visit Nova Scotia I have travelled a lot and think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world but I hate driving and would never suggest driving that far as a part of a relaxing vacation especially with limited time, this is my opinion.