7 day itinerary of Nova Scotia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planing to spend a week in Nova Scotia arriving by ferry from Portland Maine. We would like to see the villages along the southern shore but would like to see Cape Breton.Our question is this too much of stretch for one week ?
We are open to any suggestions for a 7 day itinerary.
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM

Art:
Cape Breton and Fort Louisburg are certainly worth visiting but it is a long way from the south-of-Halifax villages and beaches.

These pics are from a cruise I took after my oldest daughter died and I needed to get away solo.
Stu

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...ianCruise2013#
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 03:12 AM

What time of year are you travelling? If you are travelling outside of peak season it shouldn’t be difficult to find accommodations so leave some flexibility in your schedule and make your decision regarding Cape Breton dependent on the weather. It’s been a number of years since I’ve been to NS, but I think what you are proposing is doable. However, Cape Breton is best seen in good weather, so you might want to forgo that part if it is foggy or rainy.
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 05:24 AM

Arriving in Yarmouth in the early morning, you can drive to the historic town of Shelburne. Then onto Liverpool where you might want to have lunch depending on how much time you spend in Shelbourne. From there you can visit Bridgewater, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. You can do that drive in one day...depending if you stay overnight in one of these towns. Take the highway 3 for better views. Make a stop in Chester or Peggy's Cove. Both are very different.

From Halifax it is at least a five hour drive to Cape Breton. As the above poster advises, it is doable but rushed as you would want to spend an overnight in Baddeck. It will be a long drive back to Yarmouth if you are taking the ferry again. I would break the trip in Halifax. Personally, I would omit either Cape Breton or the South Shore Drive if you have only seven days.
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 11:23 PM

7 days are sufficient. You need to plan in advance where to visit and how much time you need to spend their so that no more time is wasted in wondering where you should be now. I suggest you should see Halifax. It is best seen on foot, so park the car and start walking. I was there one year ago, it is such a beautiful place in Nova Scotia.