fly/drivie kelowna to vancouver december 30

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (family of 5) are leaving Big White Dec 30th. and are wondering what the drive to vancouver would be like at that time of year? Do you need a 4wd ? What would be the most scenic route? Car hire - will that be a problem if we are only going one way?
cheers
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:48 PM

If I were you I wouldn't bother with the most scenic route - just the most direct route and the safest route. It will be the end of December after all, which means potentially snowy and/or icy.

From Kelowna take the Coquihalla Connector (highway 97C) to Merritt, then the Coquihalla (highway 5) south to Hope, and then west to Vancouver via the Trans Canada highway #1.
Expect snow and especially fog at the summits on the Coquihalla & Connector (which go over rather than between mountain ranges).
We have driven this route in winter without the benefit of 4wd.
Since it is winter, prepare for a 5 hour drive (or slightly longer). And note that the days are shorter (fewer hours of daylight), and because it's best to drive during the day - better visibility - plan your driving time accordingly.
Be sure to check weather forecasts before setting out.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 09:50 PM

I have driven Vancouver-Kamloops around the same time of the year, and the Colquihalla and the Colquihalla Connector can definitely be totally snow-covered. Over there, since it snows so much, they don't even bother plow the roads like they'd do in Eastern US.

I was driving a Corolla with just all-season tires (not snow tires), but with 4-5 people on board, traction wasn't too bad. Traffic was light, so I drove at around 40mph.

Be very careful, though. Plenty of vehicles in the ditch, and I've known acquaitances'family member who died on the Coquihalla in the winter.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you you nightowls Borealis & rkkwan.
If we dont take the scenic route - do you recommend flying or is the scenery still worth seeing?... Here i have been worried about driving on the opposite side of the road when all along I should have been concerned with avalanches & snow not to mention the odd bear a bit un-nerving for this family from the croc infested tropics!!
Cheers
Carmel
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:35 PM

Don't worry about bears in December - they should be snuggled in their dens for a long winter nap.

The drive from Kelowna to Vancouver is interesting even if you have driven it before; personally I would rather drive it than fly it.
But if you are nervous about winter driving on the "other" side of the road, consider flying.
You will have seen some of the countryside around Kelowna during your stay there, and you will see the Vancouver area during your visit there.
In between Kelowna and Vancouver is some dry mountainous country and also a range of higher forest-covered mountains (Coastal Range) similar to the ones north of Vancouver proper, so you won't miss too much by flying. Don't terrify yourself unnecessarily.

Enjoy your trip!!