Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Five days Calgary to Jasper return - itinerary suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/five-days-calgary-to-jasper-return-itinerary-suggestions-883967/)

sue5250 Mar 27th, 2011 03:44 PM

Five days Calgary to Jasper return - itinerary suggestions

We have five full days - 4 nights and would like to travel from Calgary to Jasper return in August - we will rent a car
I would appreciate any suggestion on itinerary - thinking of 1 day and night in Calgary then off to Banff for one night and on to Lake Louise next for a night and then drive the Icelands Parkway to Jasper for the last night which will mean driving back to Calgary the next day to catch a late night flight.
It is a lot of moving around but unfortunately no more time so a little is better than nothing.
Any accommodation recommendations will also be welcome - middle of the road cost.
Thanks

laverendrye Mar 27th, 2011 03:50 PM

With 4 nights, I would skip Calgary. Spend your first night in Banff, two nights in Jasper, and the last night either in Lake Louise or Banff.

Borealis Mar 27th, 2011 04:21 PM

Banff and Lake Louise are close enough that you could use one or the other as your "home base" to see the sights in the area.
With only four nights, I would agree with laverendrye (the ealier post) and skip staying a day in Calgary (or you could use your last half day before your flight to see a bit of the city).
What time of day does your flight arrive in Calgary? The drive from Calgary to Banff is short (1.5 hours at the most, unless you get stuck in rush hour traffic when leaving the city), so even if you arrive in early evening you will have enough time to drive to Banff for your first night.
I would stay in Banff on the first night, then drive the Icefield Parkway to Jasper the next day and overnight in Jasper.
That leaves you with two more nights. You could spend part of the day in Jasper and then drive back to Lake Louise (it's about 230 km or 145 miles, but on a mountainous and winding road, can take as little as 2.5 hours to drive, but plan on at least 3.5, especially if you make stops at scenic viewpoints along the way).
Lake Louise is a bit further away from Calgary (another 45 minutes "west" of Banff), and keeping that 2 hour (very easy) drive in mind you could plan to spend as much or as little time on your last day in either the Rockies or in Calgary before catching your flight.

qwovadis Mar 28th, 2011 04:58 AM

Did this during the stampede a couple of years ago.

carrentals.com rented a converttible views were awesome

it was pretty cheap... Calgary underwhelming you do

not have enough time...

I splurged for the Fairmont in Banff it was awesome

had an amazing view over the Bow River waterfalls

from my room... Lake Lousie was truly the most

awesome truly emerald green lake Chateau Lake Louise

was nice there not as pretty as the fairmont.

Jasper not as neat for me just sort a small mountain

train town nowhere near as spectacular as the others

so I turned back around and spent my last nite

on a nice Lake Louse hotel/BB on a beautiful lake.

Was amazed by all the bears up there on the trails and the

roads be careful there but got some awesome photos.

Have fun,

qwovadis Mar 28th, 2011 05:03 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...s-The_Fairmont

Pick of the Litter worth a splurge for me.

tomfuller Mar 31st, 2011 12:53 PM

If the Fairmont is not worth the splurge, The Alpine Centre HI Hostel is at the low end of the price spectrum. http://www.hihostels.ca/westerncanad..._Centre.hostel
Make sure to see Maligne Canyon when you are in the Jasper area.
The trip out onto the glacier was much cheaper a few years ago.
Expect to see Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats and maybe a few elk on your way up the Icefield Parkway.

sue5250 Apr 7th, 2011 01:17 AM

Thanks for all the above
We arrive midnight Thurs and will stay in Calgary that night.
My thoughts are to head off to Jasper on Friday and then spend that night there.
Then will work our way back down to Banff with one night in Lake Louise/ Field area and two night in Banff before leaving Tues around midnight.
The dilemna is one night or two in Jasper - if the latter we will skip sleeping in the area of Lake Louise.
Most of the lodges and Bed and Breakfast stays take a minimum of 2 nights.
Any thoughts are welcome.

tomfuller Apr 7th, 2011 06:06 AM

Check the hostels in Jasper and Banff if you run into problems with minimum stays. (see link above). I've stayed alone and with my wife the one just outside Jasper.

sue5250 Apr 7th, 2011 11:48 AM

I have looked at the hostel at Jasper but all they have available are shared bathrooms/washroom on a lower level and we are a bit old for that! That was my first choice.
The hotels in a reasonable price range(around 200$) have such bad reviews.
My concern is the itinerary at this stage as for now can get a lodge in Jasper for 2 nights but if I wait too long I will lose that!