Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   First visit to Toronto - accomodation and transport query (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/first-visit-to-toronto-accomodation-and-transport-query-49808/)

Janet Jul 31st, 1999 03:38 PM

First visit to Toronto - accomodation and transport query

I'm hoping to travel to Toronto in November. The hotels I am looking at are the King Edward or the Metropolitan. I'll be travelling myself so would prefer to have something central in a good location. As I am just beginning to research this city-break, I'd like any opinions on the hotels mentioned, their facilities, and how convenient they are for all the attractions - I intend to stay for about 3 or 4 nights. How safe is the public transport, especially in the evenings like after a theatre show, etc? <BR>

Betty Ann Aug 2nd, 1999 05:49 PM

The King Edward is a wonderful hotel. We stayed on the concierge level - lovely suite, great service. The hotel is very centrally located, you can walk to many places. Public tranportation is very safe, at any time, clean and inexpensive. You will love Toronto!

Donna Aug 2nd, 1999 07:48 PM

You may want to pick up a bus/streetcar map (sometimes available at the hotel front desk, otherwise any metro station or tourist office). Some of the sights are quite a walk from a metro stop - the bus and trolley stops are much closer - and you get to enjoy the glorious scenery all along the way - especially at night. In the way of nightlife, I highly recommend a place called N'Awlins (small, comfortable, excellent piano player) across from the Princess of Wales Theatre and the bar at the top of the Manulife Center. Classy, beautiful views of the city below, excellent bar menu (in addition to the usual chicken wings and nachos). If you really like jazz, not to be missed is upstairs at the Senator. You'd swear you were in Paris in the 20's. Awesome.

louise Aug 3rd, 1999 04:40 PM

hi Janet, <BR>When in Toronto, we really enjoy staying at the Cambridge Suites. It is central and you get a living room and bedroom for the price of a room. Do take in any plays, they are very good quality(I might even say that they are better than in London!!)You might also enjoy a NHL hockey game if you like that. There are many very good restaurants and the public transport is good, but taxis are not that expensive, if you prefer. Enjoy

Brian Kilgore Aug 5th, 1999 08:26 AM

The metropolitan is in one of Toronto's Chinatowns, directly north of the Toronto City Hall. Late in the evening, the area will not have a lot of street life, although there will be people going to and from the nearby restaurants. The hotel's own main dining room is one fo the best restaurants of any kind in Canada, incidentally, with Chinese and non-chinese food. It's near the bus station and a few down-at-the-heel shops. It would not be one of my first choices for a woman travelling alone and wishing to walk in the neighborhood at night. <BR>There is much more street life near the King Edward, and it is significantly more convenient to the Toronto subway system. Walking around the King Edward neighborhood takes you to theatres, restaurants, the Hockey Hall of Fame, the giant Eaton Centre. Walking around the metropolitan takes you to the Art Gallery of Ontario, some court houses, the other end of the same Eaton Centre. You might also look at hotels in the Bloor and Avenue Road area in the same price range, including the Windsor Arms (a rebuilt version of a grand small hotel that was The place to stay 20 years ago) the Hyatt, the Four Seasons and The Inter-Continental. <BR>Finally, I'd stay at the Royal York before I'd stay at the King Edward. They are close to each other, but the Royal York has more tradition and action and life to it. <BR>BAK <BR>

Allen Cohen Aug 17th, 1999 09:24 AM

I am visiting in November as well. Just reserved a room at the Toronto Colony Hotel which is directly behind the Eaton Center and next to City Hall. Got a great CAA/AAA rate of $105 (CDN) per night. Looks like a resonable attractive place.

elaine Aug 17th, 1999 09:49 AM

janet, <BR>why not post this to the Fodor's expert who is answering questions re: Toronto...think the forum began yesterday!

Brian Kilgore Aug 17th, 1999 12:22 PM

TheColony, mentioned in this fourm, is across the street from the Metropolitan, making the Colony a good bargain for sleeping, and still close to the Metropolitan for excellent meals. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR>

Rob Bayliss Sep 2nd, 1999 11:59 PM

Janet, <BR> <BR>I stayed at the Best Western Hotel in Downtown Toronto. I found the public transport to be clean efficient, and safe. I went at the end of December, and it was very cold - wrap up well ! <BR>Re: attactions, you must go up the CN tower, it is SO high ! <BR>For a laugh - check out my Toronto experiences on http://www.rbayliss.swinternet.co.uk

Allan Sep 6th, 1999 10:44 AM

Overall, King Edward is better than Metropolitan. As someone else has suggested, Royal York is a good alternative as it is slightly more conveniently located to entertainment district and has direct indoor connections to subway/tube, nice if it is cold. Royal York is a larger hotel, probably cheaper but less intimate, but both ahve character. Public transit is not a problem expecially downtown. Have fun!!