Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finally ready to buy plane tickets to Nova Scotia!

Feb 6th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

I had posted last year for suggestions on a Nova Scotia trip for our anniversary, but the vacation never materialized in 2008. We're definitely going in early September of this year, though!

I've ordered a new Doers' & Dreamers' guide (I think that's what it's called, right?) since I can't find last year's, because I have to start my research all over again.... My old computer finally met its end and took with it my "Nova Scotia" folder with all of my many bookmarked pages.

I'm going to search this forum because I know that's where I found a lot of the information in the first place, and in the meantime, if anyone would happen to have a second to post any links or suggestions, I'd surely appreciate it.

We'll be flying into Halifax and working our way around the province (itinerary yet to be ironed out), so we're open to anything, anywhere at this point. We prefer romantic, somewhat upscale inns (with fireplace rooms if possible) if anyone has any recommendations.

I'm also going to look into whale-watching trips -- is that the right time of year? And aren't there rafting trips, and bald-eagle-watching boat rides?

Can you tell I'm excited by the way I'm babbling? Thanks for reading!
Feb 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Whatever you do, make certain to go to Cape Breton and Baddeck. The scenery is just gorgeous.
Feb 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Blm - September is a good time for whale watching.

I did last year. I stayed on Brier Island and did the Ocean Explorations whale watching out of Tiverton. I really liked it. There were about 10 passengers plus the owner Tom and an assistant. They take you out on a Zodiac. We found several humpbacks and a finback during the trip. The ride itself is awesome, but what really made it great is that we were able to reach the whales much quicker than the bigger boats. There were couple times where the whale dove before the big boat ever made it to the sighting, while we had nice up close views.
Feb 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the recommendations! I found my old post from last year, as well as others on the board, so I've started a new collection of Nova Scotia-related links. I'll be checking back here often.
Feb 7th, 2009, 11:37 PM

How long do you have in NS. That will make it a lot easier to suggest areas for your itinerary.

The Blomidon Inn in Wolfville is a charming place with propane fireplaces. Not sure if all of the rooms have them, but we stayed there last fall and our room was small, but well equipped. They serve a continental breakfast with homemade muffins, jams, etc. www.blomidon.ns.ca

The Haliburton Inn in downtown Halifax has one room with a working "wood" fireplace. I believe it is Room 113, small but charming. Parking is included in the price. They also offer fantastic meals. www.thehaliburton.com
Feb 8th, 2009, 05:08 AM

For whales and eagles, northern Cape Breton is a sure shot. Additionally, the scenery there is gorgeous. Nova Scotia has lots of good scenery, but on the Cabot Trail at the northern part of the island the views seem to be around every turn.

The Four Mile Beach Inn is a spot we considered, although we opted for an efficiency. It was highly recommended to us.

We used www.northerncapebreton.com for regional information.
Feb 9th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Tanya, our dates are August 29 to September 7, just over a week. Any itinerary suggestions would be appreciated.
Feb 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM

If you only have just over a week, I would suggest that you choose southern NS OR Cape Breton Island but not both....distances/driving times just too great, IMO. We have been twice and did southern NS (Lighthouse Rt., Brier Island for whale watching, Wolfville/Bay of Fundy) and then CBI the next time. Both are wonderful and just depend on your interests; we were there about the same time of year as your plans....we had great whale watching off Brier Island. We did Halifax both times; we like it very much but our son is now in school there.
Feb 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM

blrn1, I agree w/ peggionthego. Pick one or the other.
You probably already know this but Sept 7 is a holiday (Labour Day) & will be a v/ busy travel day. Also, lots of university students will be heading back to Halifax that weekend.
Feb 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Boy am I glad I waited a week to buy our plane tickets! I don't know why, but they cost less than half of what they've been every time I've looked over the past year.....
woo-hoo!

Right now the only thing I'm pretty sure of is that we'll spend just our first and last nights in Halifax. We'd rather spend our time seeing the scenery around the rest of the province.

In the meantime, I'm going to have a look at that new pomegranate phone.
Feb 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM

I was there last august and saw both eagles and whales from the end of the easy skyline trail in Cape Breton park. A bull moose was resting under the tree close to the trail and a cow and calf were feeding a little further. The calf was surrounded by about 20 people almost within petting distance. The whales were difficult to see though. I was 6 moose that day and the day before, I saw a huge bull and an immature bald eagle flying overhead twice (I was on a bike). Also saw red-tailed hawks.