Final Itinerary - Montreal to Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, last September we got lots of advice on a planned trip to Canada for this coming summer (July/August). Well, we booked our flights (1 on reward points and 1 paid for) and due to the flights available on the reward booking we are now flying to Montreal on the 28th July and fly out of Vancouver on the 31st August.

Taking on board the advice from Fodorites on the Forum this is our final (with all accomodation booked) trip plan:

Day 1: Fly UK to Montreal (1 night, the night of arrival at airport hotel)
Day 2: pick up car and drive to Quebec for 3 nights
Day 3: Quebec -hoping to see Cirque Soliel
Day 4: Quebec - hoping to do a whale watching trip
Day 5: Ottawa
Day 6: Ottawa - hoping to see changing of the Guard
Day 7: Gravenhurst - arranging a trip on Muskoka Lake, and the Cranberry winery
Day 8: Niagara-on-the-Lake - Maid of the Mist and Niagara
Day 9: Niagara-on-the-Lake - winery trip
Day 10: Niagara-on-the-Lake - Mystery walk, show (Shaw season)
Day 11: Toronto
Day 12: Toronto
Day 13: Toronto - hope to spend a day on the Toronto Islands
Day 14: Kingston - Fort Henry (as it is Wednesday)
Day 15: Kingston - boat trip in the 1000 Islands
Day 16: Montreal
Day 17: Montreal
Day 18: Fly Montreal to Calgary, pick up car and drive to Banff (meeting up with friends)
Dayn 19: Banff
Day 20: Jasper (via Icefields Parkway)
Day 21: Jasper
Day 22: Jasper
Day 23: Lake Louise
Day 24: Lake Louise
Day 25: Revelstoke
Day 26: Penticton
Day 27: Penticton - booking a wine tour
Day 28: Hope
Day 29: Victoria (dropping car at Vancouver Airport and getting coach to Victoria)
Day 30: Victoria - hoping to do a whale watching trip
Day 31: Vancouver (getting coach back from Victoria to Vancouver)
Day 32: Vancouver
Day 33: Vancouver
Day 34: Vancouver
Day 35: Fly back to UK

We had wanted to charter a yacht in Vancouver but decided to spend more time on the East Coast and the Rockies, and are planning another trip for the West Coast including sailing in the Gulf Islands and beyond and more time on Vancouver Island another year.

We have booked a mixture of hotels, youth hostels (as we are Members), motels, and Bed and Breakfasts.

Thank you to all who helped shape the itinerary and suggested accomodation, particularly in the Rockies. When we are back I will write up a trip report to share.

Any suggestions on restaurants, wineries or other activites you recommend would be welcome around our itinerary.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't understand why you are driving past Toronto to get to Niagara on the Lake and then back to Toronto.
I'll give you a link to the HI Hostels in Jasper National Park.
http://www.hihostels.com/dba/Hostels...&city=CA|03016

I have stayed several times at the one just outside the town of Jasper. I really enjoy that area of the Canadian Rockies.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 05:59 PM

One comment - depending on your age, I'm wondering about a day on the Toronto Islands. I haven't visited them for a few years, but have tended to think of them as more of a "family outing" with kids, popular with local families. The Ferry Ride is fun, but there are lots of boat tours out of Harbourfront that will cruise you around the islands, and Harbourfront tends to have festivals on summer weekends too. I would be interested in hearing other "local" opinions on this. What else do you have planned for Toronto? What kinds of attractions and activities do you like?

Quebec - I've been of the impression that the whale watching tends to be around the Saguenay-St Lawrence Marine Park region, which is at least 2&1/2 hours, maybe 3, from Quebec City which seems a little far to do as a day-trip. But maybe you're OK with that, or maybe I'm wrong about having to travel so far. Are there whale tours closer to Quebec City?

On a trip to Vancouver Island some years ago, we were disappointed to discover that the trip we hoped to do in the Telegraph Cove area was booked up well in advance. As a result, we wisely heeded advice to book weeks in advance a Whale-watching trip in the Bay of Fundy several years later. So you might investigate whale trips in advance of your arrival.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 09:50 PM

While the Toronto Islands are known for the Centreville Amusement Park, the islands are still a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of the city. You can rent bikes and check out the various islands, beaches (bring your bathing suit if you are up to a chilly dip on a stinking hot day, yes the beaches are clean), the lighthouse and the old island cottage neighbourhood. Stop off at the St. Lawrence Market (closed Sunday and Monday) to pick up some picnic supplies before you catch the ferry.

While you are in Toronto, check out this year's Dream in High Park production of Shakespeare's The Winter Tale. Admission is Pay What You Can ($20 suggested) and get there early for a good seat on the hill. (Bring a picnic dinner to this one too.) The show is outside and weather dependant. I remember seeing a show there years ago, thinking as I gazed up at the stars in the night sky, that this is the way the Shakespeare would have watched a production 400 yrs ago.

Be mindful of the driving distances, many of your days involve driving two to five hours not including breaks. Canada is much bigger than many Europeans think it will be. Oh, and watch out for rush hour in the major cities which is often from 7:00 to 10:00 am and 3:00 to 6:30 pm.

Have a great trip and I look forward to hearing all about it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

Hi Tomfuller, we are going onto Niagara-on-the-Lake before Toronto so that we are there on the Thursday to see a particular show, see the Niagara fireworks and open air concert on the Friday, and on the Saturday to do the Mystery on the Lake tour (only day it runs) so that dictated the order.

I agree taht the HI at Jasper looks good but the private rooms were booked up (we are a couple in our mid 50's), but we did get the hostels in Quebec, Montreal, Toronto and Lake Louise booked (all private rooms with ensuite) as we booked them earlier thankfully. We are staying at the Pine Bungalows in Jasper, which also look really good.

Hi Mat54
We are very boaty people and love sailing, although this holiday we will not be sailing, but anything connected with boats appeals. My husband also like running as well. We were told there was a marina on the island, so thought we could try a beach, a stroll/cycle ride around and also see the marina, but will look at the boat tours from the Harbourfront.

You are right about the whale tours in Quebec, but we don't mind a drive of that distance as we regularly commute 2 hours a day each way to work here in London (just getting around the M25). You are right about the advance booking, so I am going to head your advice and get on to booking that up this weekend (both for Quebec and for Victoria).

cantw82go (love the name), I love the tip about Dream in High Park, we will certainly look to do that. Our only other plan for Toronto was to try out good places to eat in the evening (not expensive, but interesting such as the Brewery district), and maybe take a hop on hop off tourist bus around for a day to see what we can see. A friend said to see if there was a baseball game on as that would be good to see.