Ferry from Vancouver to Victoria

May 23rd, 2001, 02:07 AM
Julie

Ferry from Vancouver to Victoria

I need to take a ferry from Vancouver over to Victoria on Vancouver Island on 21st June, do I need to book up in advance or will it be safe to just turn up on the day ?
Thanks for any info from you all out there.

May 23rd, 2001, 07:25 AM
deb

You should be fine without reservations, just show up 30-45 minutes before the sailing leaves. The only time I make reservations is on a busy holiday weekend.

May 24th, 2001, 02:59 AM
Julie

Thanks for the info deb, we did look on the BC ferries web page but they wanted $16 extra to pre-book (I dont like being ripped off). we will just turn up on the day.

May 24th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Susan

You don't say if you are taking a car or if you will be boarding as a foot passenger. All foot passengers get on, so you never need a reservation. With a car, if it is busy you may have a one sailing wait without reservations unless you are there quite early.

May 25th, 2001, 01:02 AM
Julie

Hi Susan,
Yes we will have a car but we dont have to worry about waiting the odd hour or so. Thanks for your help.

May 25th, 2001, 02:18 AM
Robyn

Hi Julie,

Though everything's already been said, I just wanted to add that the only real time reservations would come in handy is if you have to be on Vancouver Island at a certain time and you can't be late (ie: for a wedding for instance), etc... otherwise if you have no strict time limits, don't bother.

May 25th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Robin

You can also get on a charter bus in downtown Vancouver that takes you onto the ferry and drives you into Victoria. It is a good deal and if you are staying right in Victoria, there is no need for a car. We even visted the gardens outside downtown via a local bus and it wasn't a bad trip at all.