Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   "Fast Food " Restaurants/ Vancouver (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/fast-food-restaurants-vancouver-700160/)

themerle Apr 26th, 2007 05:23 AM

"Fast Food " Restaurants/ Vancouver

Are there fast food type restaurants in Vancouver?

BikerScott Apr 28th, 2007 09:46 AM

This is a joke, right?

Bobmrg Apr 28th, 2007 10:02 AM

BikerScott is right...most US chains have outlets in Canada. But Tim Horton's is synonymous with Canada...you have to go to a Tim's at least once.

kodi Apr 28th, 2007 02:58 PM

Too funny!!! Must be a troll.

Wallace_and_Gromit May 3rd, 2007 10:54 AM

Why must he be a troll?

My 59 year old father is going to be moving to Boise, Idaho from Atlanta. (He has never been to the West Coast)He asked the exact same question to a realtor he called there on the phone! :D (The guy responded, "Yeah, we even have running water!" ... LOL!!)

The point I am trying to make is that people may seem really clueless, but it is a legit question.

Let's not make Themerle feel bad for asking a question.

I LOVE Tim's

curiousgeo May 3rd, 2007 12:14 PM

Does the White Spot count as fast food? How about Hon's Wun Tun House?

BikerScott May 3rd, 2007 02:41 PM

Wallace and Gromit - you're probably right, and this probably is a legit question, however it's exactly the sort of question that tends to get Canadian hackles up - heck there are even beer commercials mocking this sort of question.

To give you an idea of the size of Vancouver, it's about the same size in terms of population as: Boston, Seattle, Milwaukee, El Paso, Charlotte NC, or Fort Worth (Vancouver itself has a population of 587,900, all of those cities have a population of less than 625,000 - the greater vancouver region has a total population of more than 2,100,000 people).

kodi May 4th, 2007 03:14 AM

Wallace, I hear you... but there is a big difference between Boise and Vancouver.
It sounds like the OP hasn't researched Vancouver very well, or they'd know it is a big city... and big cities EVERYEHERE in the world have 1. big tall buildings, 2. lots of cars. 3 lots of fast tood restaurants.
It just goes without saying unless this is there very first trip to a city.
If they've ever travelled anywhere at all...then it's a pretty innocent question.

themerle May 8th, 2007 11:33 AM

This was really a legitment question? I just didn't word it properly. I should have ask, what are the names of some of the fast food restaurants?
I get so busy enjoying the sights, the views, the people, and nature when I travel that sometimes I only want to stop for a quick bite. Alot of people ask about nice dining experiences so I get plenty of information on those restaurants. I'm looking forward to my trip to Vancouver, the sights, the natural beauty and, of course, the wonderful people!

kodi May 8th, 2007 11:41 AM

Themerle, now I understand. I travel the very same way and I'm not always interested in fine dining either.
THere are the usual, McDOnald's, Wendy's, Mr. Sub.
Also try Tim Horton's, a Canadian favourite for a quick soup and sandwich or coffee and donut.. The prices are good and it's a quick place to stop. YOu'll see how popular they are.
Have a good time.

NWWanderer May 8th, 2007 11:52 AM

Or try White Spot's Triple 0's (or the regular White Spots for a quick but sit down breakkie), or the hot dog vendors (there are two we particularly like, one in front of the Sutton Place hotel and the other on Robson just below Burrard in front of the Ferragamos).

I also had a very good but quick soup and salad lunch at Earls on Hornby and Smithe on a recent visit.

Carmanah May 8th, 2007 01:48 PM

There are a lot of cafes and sushi bars around Vancouver where it's often faster and cheaper than going to a place like Burger King.

odysseusthebrave May 8th, 2007 01:53 PM

You could try here for a list of fast food restaurants in Vancouver, but they're more...upscale than fast food restaurants.

http://www.travel--guide.org/Vancouver

Of course Vancouver has fast food restaurants, but why would you want to eat the same McDonalds you can get anywhere in the world where you can eat better (and healthier) food that you'd be hard pressed to get outside the area?

kodi May 8th, 2007 04:26 PM

Now in all fairness, Themerle didn't say they wanted to go to McDonald's. I was the one who mentioned it.
They are wondering where they can get a quick bite to eat. Once they explained that, I understood what they meant.

Wallace_and_Gromit May 8th, 2007 08:43 PM

Themerle,

A good choice would be to the Granville Island Market and enjoy the (INCREDIBLE) food court or pick up picnic provisions. (Very easy and fun if you carry a backpack)

BikerScott May 9th, 2007 03:54 PM

I eat lunch downtown while working quite a bit - my usual haunts are (in no particular order, other than the first, which I go to at least once a week):

- Steamrollers (burritos and wraps on Hornby at Dunsmuir, next to the starbucks)
- Fumiyoshi (sushi, on Howe between Pender and Hastings)
- The Crepe place in Sinclair Centre (run by a guy who is actually french - try the garlic chicken savory crepe - super tasty)
- Either the greek place or the soup place (called Staccatos) in Waterfront (avoid the chinese, it's hideous. The McDonalds in there was on TV yesterday for serving a burger with chewed gum in it.)
- Tazos for good soup/sandwiches - in the Marine building at Burrard and Hastings (was at one time the tallest building in the british empire - fantastic architecture).

Wallace_and_Gromit May 9th, 2007 05:19 PM

I forgot to mention Maple Delights 769 Hornby Street (Just off Robson across from the museum)

AMAZING food ... The Maple Curry Chicken Salad is TO DIE FOR!!!

Carmanah May 9th, 2007 07:26 PM

Oooooh... just had that chicken curry salad a few days ago - it is delicious. And BikerScott, you've just listed my regular work haunts!

themerle May 9th, 2007 07:49 PM

Thanks every one! I guess I've got options now!

kodi May 10th, 2007 05:21 PM

I just remembered Quisnos. I love there sandwiches.

SO it seems you won't have any trouble finding a quick bite to eat.
I also grab something at food courts in Malls.
Once in Mexico, we ate at a food court, and they sat us down, set the table including a tablecloth and served us. Water on the table and everything. We couldn't beleive it.
In New Zealand we went to an Asian food court and had a wonderful meal.