Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Family vacation in Tremblant, hotels, activities?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Planning a family vacation for approx 19 people, 7 children 12 adults with different ski ability levels for end of March. Want to be in the middle of it all,walking distance to everything, pedestrian village for the non-skiers and easy access to ski lifts for the skiers. Prefer not to deal with shuttles. Would love to have a pool available for the children. Have looked at Homewood suites, Les Suites Tremblants and Mariott. Your recommendations please.

Also, is ice skating available. (bring your own skates?) What is the dog sledding like? Is it like a roller coaster ride or more like a horse carriage?
Finally, have seen ads regarding flights into Mt. Tremblant airport. Anyone have flown into this airport? Should I just look at Montreal airport?

Lots of questions. Thanks for all your help.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Tremblant is a great choice for your trip in my opinion - enough to keep everyone occupied but with a great family feeling. Homewood Suites and the Mariott are both very central.

I haven't stayed at Homewood but as I recall the units are over the top of stores and there is quite often music piped into that area of the village so my only concern there would be a bit of noise but nothing major.

One thing about the Marriot is that it is right in the line of the small cabriolet gondola which transports people from the parking lot up the mountain to the main lift area, so depending on your room you can sometimes see people flying past (and more importantly, they can see you!). But it is a great place to stay, very central, and I have stayed there on a number of occasions. The rooms/service/breakfast have always been excellent.

With respect to Les Suites Tremblant, this is an "umbrella" for a number of different properties, some of which are right in the pedestrian village and some of which are not. For example, one of their properties, "Domaine de La Foret" is part way up one side of the mountain. It is a great place to stay but (quiet, beautiful, and ski runs past your door) but definitely not in the middle of everything and you need to take a shuttle bus to get to the village. So, make sure you know which property you are looking at.

Others you might want to consider are The Tour des Voyageurs, The Country Inn, and the Lodge de La Montagne. They are all fine and the rooms are the same quality as the Marriott. I believe that there is a ski run that goes right up to the Tour des Voyageurs and the Lodge de la Montagne so you can ski into these.

With respect to pools, most of them are outdoors at Tremblant. The Westin (which is also centrally located) might have an indoor one but I think that their outdoor one is open all year round. The Fairmont has an indoor pool as well as outdoor hottubs and is also central, but is quite pricy for what you get (other than the pool, of course).

I don't recall that there is any skating at all at Tremblant but could be mistaken on this. Sorry I can't help on your other questions but hopefully someone else can chime in.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Cat123,

Thank you so much for all you information. I will definitely check into the other hotels and see what we come up with. It sounds like such fun.

Now hopefully someone will answer regarding the dog sledding, ice skating and airport.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:41 PM

lia b -you have gotten good info on hotels, etc.

But like the nursery story 'the emperor's new clothes' no one mentioned the fact that the Laurentien Mountains are mile after mile, hill after hill of dead trees. It was unbeleivable to me that people go crazy for this area.

No trees taken out and reforestation taking place, the dead trees are left where they are and they build whole resorts among them.

Have fun
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:40 PM

Hi,

I am pretty sure that there is skating on Lac Mirroir (lake right behind the village). We usually stay at the Country Inn -- a nice continental breakfast is included which is very convenient. There is only a small outdoor hot tub however.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:25 PM

We love Tremblant and have stayed at the Marriott may years - it's a great location. Right across the street is La Source, a pool/health club that you can join for a day or for the length of your stay. It's not cheap but it's really fun and pretty much where everyone with kids goes to swim. There are locker rooms, towels, a pool, work out area, steam room and an indoor (for everyone) and outdoor (for adults only) hot tubs. If you buy a multi-day pass you can bypass the daily lines if there are any - it can get pretty crowded at 4:30 when the lifts shut down. ALso we've found that the family locker room can be much more negiotiable in a crowd than the ladies one. As to ice skating, there is indeed skating on Mirror Lake behind the hotel that the previous poster mentioned, and they do rent skates. It's fun and right in the village. I understand that there is also inside skating in the village of St. Jovite, but have never been. We did the dog sledding 2 years ago and loved it, but it is definitely more of a roller coaster ride than a sleigh ride. They served snacks in a teepee in the middle of the ride. I highly recommend it, it's one of the most fun things that our family has ever done. Enjoy Tremblant!