family vacation in halifax in august

Mar 25th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

family vacation in halifax in august

We are going to a wedding in August. My wife is excited to see the scenery and Peggy's Cove, but my kids (15&11)will consider this torture. What do you recommend for kids to do? We are flying, and plan to be there 1 week. Thanks!
Mar 25th, 2004, 01:44 PM
BAK

My son would really like the maritime museum on the Halifax waterfront, and a trip across the harbor on the ferry to Dartmouth.

You might be surprised at the kids' reaction to Peggy's Cove, because the rocks are fun to explore.
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Hopefully you'll be there during the Buskers (street preformers) Festival. It was the highlight of our stay in Halifax a few years ago. Our teenager loved it.

http://www.buskers.ca/

Also, if your kids are interested in Titanic stuff, there is a Halifax connection.
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Your kids might enjoy the Halifax Citadel. You could also take a daytrip over to the Wolfville area where they could experience the Fundy tides.....
Mar 27th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

I just checked, and the buskers are there the week before the wedding. We will definately go. Great idea!
As for the fundy tides, where would I find out more about that? It sounds interesting. I have also been told about Fort Louisberg. Has anyone been there, and would it be good for kids?
Thanks again for all the help everyone.
Mar 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM
wow

Hello, Sportjohn! Don't get too excited about the Fortress of Louisbourg....it's a good 5 hour drive from Halifax! It's located near Sydney on the Island of Cape Breton, NS. Halifax is on the mainland of NS,
AT this point in your planning, you might want to take a look @ NS's "Doers' and Dreamers' Guide". It will help orient you. Your kids cld also take a look @ it & that may give them some ideas of what they wld like to see. Try www.novascotia.com ( or maybe .ca). I am not sure if that is the site but you cld "Google" NS & will find it that way. Upon request the NS Dept of Tourism will send you a complimentary copy of the guide.
I just thought of a quicker way to get more info. Go to Fodors home page here. Click on "Destinations". Go to "Halifax". You can order your "Doers and Dreamers" Guide there!
Have fun! You will love Nova Scotia!

Mar 28th, 2004, 01:47 AM

Do your kids like froliking in the waves? Not large but lots of surfing done outside of Dartmouth at Lawrencetown Beach. Be prepared for colder water.

There are a couple of water tours you can take of the city. A popular is the land/water tour where a vehicle takes you around the downtown core and then heads into the water for a quick tour of the waterfront. Can't remember the name of it but Murphy's have a kiosk on the waterfront.

In the downtown core there is also Discovery Centre - a hand-on science facility. Check out the Freak Candy Shop on Barrington - a great place for kids and parents (retro candy). Enjoy the sites of Spring Garden Road with an order of the best french fries from Bud the Spud - sit and relax while you eat them on the library wall. There is a skateboarding park located at the Commons and just across from it is the Natural science museum - you will enjoy it too!

My kids love to go rock jumping at Peggy's Cove. Just make sure you keep a close eye on them and they don't go anywhere close to the shoreline. Very dangerious and the rocks can get pretty slippery! Queensland Beach is very popular not far from Peggy's Cove. Small, especially at high tide, but always packed. You used to be able to rent skimmer boards, etc. but not sure if you still can.

Pirates Cove, located at the Dartmouth Sportsplex, has a great swimming pool with lots of thrill-slides! Not sure if your older child would enjoy it but might be a way to pass a few hours.

If you like shopping, the kids can spend a few hours at Mic Mac Mall. East Side Mario's located in the mall is a good place to have lunch.

IF your kids have any particular area of interest, I can suggest a few more things. Hope this helps!