Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fall Foliage Montreal & Quebec City; northern New England. Timing question.

Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I know this is a tired old question, and impossible to answer, but all I'm really seeking is comments for my consideration. In the final analysis, I have to make the call.
Our original plan to do a fall foliage tour of New England has morphed into a pre-extend into Montreal and Quebec City, all of which is a first for us Californians. We are getting excited about seeing those lovely cities.
Our times are flexible: we are thinking more than 2 weeks, less than 4 weeks.
While our times are flexible, it is generally necessary, I understand, to secure reservations throughout the area for this time of year, which means we have to commit to the timing well in advance. Like now.
Ideally, of course, we will see magnificent colors in Montreal and Quebec areas, then kind of follow the colors south into northern and central Vermont and New Hampshire. At least that's the plan.
The usual response for most of New England is the first two weeks of October are usually (most of the time) peak leaf peeping times. But, of course, the farther north, the earlier the season.

Some of the books I read regarding peak leaf time in Montreal and Quebec say the last week of September, and stays strong most of October. Fodors says it can start as early as the first week of September in the Montreal and Quebec areas.

My current plan is to fly in and out of Burlington, head immediately to Montreal for about 3 nights, Quebec City 4 nights, thence south into northern Vermont for the rest of the time, looping back to Burlington for the trip home.

Should this trip start as early as mid-September; say around Sep 15 or 20? Earlier?

Subject of course to the vagaries of nature, any thoughts and comments on timing would be appreciated.

(This same post will be placed on the US board (Vermont). ) Thank you.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:12 AM

You're right, this is impossible to answer But here I am. If you spend only one week in the province of Quebec, make it the last of September. Mid-September might be too early for leaves, but nonetheless a lovely time to travel in those areas. Also, since you are coming back down south to Vermont, you can start with Quebec City, then spend time in Montreal (the leaves will turn in Quebec before they do in the greater Montreal area).

Happy planning!
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:25 AM

Peek in Quebec is somewhere between september 25 and october 5th.

Some of my favorite spots:

- Parc de la Mauricie (north of Trois-Rivière)
- Highway 155 along the St-Maurice river (drive a while and turn back)
- Parc de la rivière Jacques-Cartier (just north of Quebec City)
- Parc des Grands-Jardins (carpet of yellow aspen on the Mont du lac des Cygnes trail)
- Parc des Hautes-Gorges (yellow aspen and rugged cliffs)
- Cap Tourmente (Snow Geese, I would visit on my last day in Quebec City)
- The Megantic region
- The Eastern Townships

I have a gallery of fall color pictures. Mouse over the main picture and click on the "i". A little info bubble pops-up which includes "date taken" for many of them. You can move the info bubble around and use the left/right keyword arrows to browse: http://www.borealphoto.com/keyword/automne
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:11 AM

Cycling up "the mountain" every day in Montreal for the last two years, I've paid attention... while there are some initial turnings in September, I've found the leaves at their loveliest the *second week of October*.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Hey, this is great. Thanks for the comments and information. Got another comment on the US board.

Sounds like we should arrive in Quebec Province say 25-26 Oct. That would put us into VT about 5 Oct or so.

Ventdest, hadn't thought of doing Quebec City first. Makes sense. I was only looking at the geography from Burlington which would have Montreal the first stop, then continue on a clockwise circle to Quebec City, then to VT. Umhh, have to ponder that some. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM

Here's a suggestion for an itinerary: http://tinyurl.com/46aomzx
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM

A couple of comments. You'll probably be gone by then but just in case - Thanksgiving in Canada is Monday October 10 and that is a long weekend.

The big cities themselves will be less spectacular (and less busy from a "fall colour" perspective) that some of the "country" regions. YOu might want to include Magog - a pleasant tourist town near the Vermont border on the shores of Lake Memphremagog and adjacent to some scenic drives and mountain scenery.

A drive up the St. Lawrence River from Quebec City into the rolling countryside and steep valleys of the Charlevoix region would be very nice, and can be done as a day-trip out of Quebec City.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 03:44 AM

Bookmarking, thank you.