Ethnic Vancouver Restaurants with Kids

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM
mpg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ethnic Vancouver Restaurants with Kids

We (husband, 4 year old daughter and myself) are visiting Vancouver for 5 days in October. We are staying at the Westin Bayshore. We are very adventurous with food and are looking for somewhat affordable child-friendly restaurant recommendations that are accessible by cab or public transit, as we won't be renting a car.

We love sushi, dim sum, Indian, french, american and just about anything interesting.

We are also visiting Victoria for 2 days and would also like restaurant recommendations there.

Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:53 AM

It's funny... you're staying at a hotel located at the northern foot of Denman Street. Denman Street is a street famous for its low key, casual ethnic restaurants, perfect for families. You basically can just walk 5 minutes south of your hotel and have a wide variety of restaurants from all around the world - French, Italian, Japanese, Ukrainian, African, Vietnamese, Chinese, Mexican, Greek, Lebanese, etc. That would be my recommendation. It takes about 20 minutes to walk the entire length of Denman Street... and at the very southern end of Denman Street is a fairly scenic beach.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM
hdm

We just visited Vancouver for the first time last July. There's a long stretch of ethnic restaurants on Commercial Avenue and you can take the Skytrain there, which your daughter might find fun. We liked Havana so much, we went their twice. However, despite it's good reviews, we thought the Memphis Barbeque was bad.

Also, we had a lovely dim sum lunch at a restaurant in Chinatown called Floata. Then it's just about a block's walk to Dr. Sun Yat Sen's Chinese gardens -- a beautiful formal garden (free) with the added (ticketed) Scholar's Garden. The free gardens are lovely and your daughter would have a chance to run around a bit and enjoy the frogs, ducks, etc. The Scholar's Garden is very interesting and if you're going to see that, try to hook up with a little tour.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:46 AM
BAK

Take Juniorette to the Granville Island Market, too.

There's a vast vairety of food, much of it easy to eat rightthere, either outside on benches where you can watch the boats, or at indooor tables.

She'llhave fun picking food, and as for her parents... smoked salmon and various cheeses are my choice.

Perhaps someone in Vancouver can check whether the kids' museum is still on Granville Island, too.

Rent Mrs. Doubtfire -- Bridges Restaurant from the movie is there, too.

BAK

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM

While it is a rather long cab ride compared to Denman Street, I would say do not miss Vij's. This is,by far, some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten. It can be a long wait so go early(they do not take reservations) but the atmosphere is one in which you won't worry about a 5 yo.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Within easy walking distance of your hotel is another Indian restaurant, Indica (northeast corner of Denmand and Pendrell). It is mostly Punjabi cuisine. There are also three Indian restaurants on Davie Street: one at the corner of Davie and Denman and two on Davie between Bute and Thurlow.

Further away - you'd need to take a bus or a taxi - is the Delhi Darbar, on Main and 5th. Excellent food and one of the few Indian restaurants in Vancouver that includes a wide range of South Indian food (most of the other restaurants focus on Punjab).
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:24 PM

I can't imagine subjecting a 5 year old to the stultifying atmosphere in Vij's-the kid will have a fit after waiting in line-and with good reason.

mpg-as Carmanah mentions there are dozens of places like what you're looking for a short walk form your hotel.

Kids love the offerings @ Nat's Pizzaria
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:38 AM

I wouldn't take a child to Vij's either. My kids love Indian food but would hate the atmosphere there and the wait.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM

Whoops..I stand corrected. I defer to the folks with kids.
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM

One very charming place that might interest you is the Baghdad Café 400 block W Pender.

It's a bit of a hike you'd be better off taking the bus (10 minutes but the place itself is bound to charm a kid and the food is delicious-been there for 2 lunches in a week can't wait to go back.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Sam_Salmon -- how do you do the formatting? (bold, italic, etc)

mpg -- I don't have any good suggestions, but I'm watching this thread to "steal" all the tips you get from others. Thanks for asking!
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM

"Sam_Salmon -- how do you do the formatting? (bold, italic, etc)"

Standard < > tags try http://cedesign.net/help2j.htm

Scroll down for the simple stuff-which is all that works here.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Instead of Vij's, try their sister restaurant, Rangoli. We took our one year old and seven year old to Rangoli, no problem. We just got there right at opening. They don't have highchairs/boosters though (we brought our own.)

You could check out my blog, I have a whole section on Vancouver BC with kids, including dining out.
http://happyjetbaby.blogspot.com/sea...%20with%20Kids

Granville Island's kids market is fun, but the eatin' isn't so fine necessarily.

A great resource is the Vancouver Magazine's Restaurant guide:
http://www.vanmag.com/restaurants/reviews.shtml

The Westin Bayshore is a great hotel (don't forget to ask for the kid's bag when you check in) but it is a bit removed from some of my favorite restaurants. Capers grocery is very near you though, wonderful for healthy (but not tooooo healthy) yummy snacks.