Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

End of March in Calgary - 2, maybe 3 days What are the must-sees?

Mar 15th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

My husband and I are visiting his sister and her family in Calgary for the last weekend of March...plus an extra couple days. We figure we'll have 2-3 days to entertain ourselves. We're into the arts, galleries, museums, etc. We're also told that Banff and Lake Louise are lovely...but might they be a little too far for such a short amount of time? We can only do day trips because we'll be spending our nights with the family.

Other posts have suggested the Royal Tyrrell Museum, which sounds like something we shouldn't miss.

Other suggestions? Advice? We want to have some plans so we're not in my sister-in-law's hair.

Thanks very much!
Mar 15th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Actually Banff is not too far away for a day trip from Calgary - from the city limits to Banff National Park is about an hour driving on a very good (divided) highway. It is a beautiful place to visit, so if you can, do visit Banff townsite, take the Sulphur Mountain gondola up for a view of the valley, have lunch in Banff, drive to Lake Louise and stroll along the lakeshore, etc. etc.

The only "unknown" is the weather. The end of March could be sunny and warm and beautiful, or there could be a spring snowstorm.

Happy trails!!
Mar 15th, 2004, 09:56 AM

The Tyrrell Museum is well worth a visit, however its a three hour drive so it would make for a long day. Banff is much closer. The Glenbow Museum in Calgary is well worth a visit. Calgary Zoo and Prehistoric Park is also worth spending time in.
Mar 15th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Criuseryyc - the Drumheller to Calgary driving time that you provided didn't seem quite right to me, especially since it takes us only three hours to drive there from Edmonton, and of course Calgary is much nearer to Drumheller.
So I checked the Drumheller tourist website, discovered that it is 138 km (86 miles) from Calgary to Drumheller, with an estimated driving time of 1.5 hours.

So - clgarbas - there's another day trip for you! Leave Calgary at 9 a.m., drive to Drumheller (be there before 11 a.m.), spend a couple of hours at the Royal Tyrrell Museum, have lunch in Drumheller, visit some of the badlands viewpoints, and then drive back to Calgary in time for supper!!!
Mar 15th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Clgarbas, I second the previous suggestions, i.e., the top priority would be a day trip to the Rocky Mountains, the next priority would be an excursion to the Royal Tyrrell Museum, and finally there are things that are worth seeing in downtown Calgary.

Cruiseryyc already has mentioned the Glenbow Museum. I would add to that the Devonian Gardens in Toronto Dominion Square and Riley & McCormick's western outfitting store. Riley & McCormick's isn't a World Heritage Site or anything like that by any means, but if you've never seen that many cowboy boots under one roof before, it is quite a novel sight.

In addition to its usual displays related to local history, the Glenbow currently has a visiting exhibit called The Bog People. It'll be here till some time in May.
Mar 16th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. Great information! You've got me excited about this trip. Let's hope for sun!
Mar 16th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Another question for you nice folks... Is there anywhere to go tubing in/near Calgary?
Mar 16th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Wintergreen, 90 km west of Calgary in the Kananaskis Valley, offers snow tubing:

http://www.goski.com/resorts/rcan/wintergreen.htm