Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Empire Landmark Hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/empire-landmark-hotel-411397/)

itravelsome Mar 15th, 2004 05:21 PM

Empire Landmark Hotel?

From what I read, the location seems excellent, but reviews about the hotel are mixed. Clean and comfortable is all I ask, but safe location is also nice. Listed at three stars, it should be at least that. Robson has to be safe since it seems to be the "spot" in Vancouver, right?

Another thing, maybe it's just me, and it may be because I don't spend A LOT of my time in inner city (downtown) environments (mostly suburbs), but is there anywhere in downtown Vancouver that's safe?:-) It seems that every post concerns shootings, or drugs, or hookers, etc. I appreciate the honesty, but sometimes Fodorites don't make Vancouver sound that appealing--well, at least parts of it. Maybe it's a ploy to deter visitors like Seattlites used to do to Californians.:-) That's alright, I'm still going, but I've gotta find a hotel I can trust.

In fact, just post suggestions where to stay between $60 and $70 US. Close in is best, but decent neighborhood. What about the hotel across from city hall (the name escapes me, but looks nice in pictures)? What about The Sandman? The Holiday Inn Downtown? Please help? Need to book soon.

Lastly, thanks for all the posts regarding my questions on racism and weather. I don't vacation a lot, so I want to know as much as possible about a place before I go. No place can be perfect, but it never hurts to ask.

Cat123 Mar 15th, 2004 07:15 PM

It's not so much that Vancouver isn't safe and more that there are certain "sketchy" areas that really don't give you the nicest feel for the city. Since it is also a very expensive city as you're figuring out, many of the more budget-type hotels are not in as nice a spot.

I can't tell you about the inside of the Empire Landmark but it is in a fine location - you would be fine walking around there at night and it is usually quite a lively area.

It is on Robson about 4/5 blocks from its' busiest part where it changes a bit from a very mainstream shopping district (GAP, etc) into a more asian-flavoured area. There are some fabulous Japanese pub-type restaurants there - Guu, Hapa Izakaya, Gyoza King - that many of my Japanese friends tell me are just as authentic as eating in Japan and more so than anywhere else in North America. It is quite a lively area that will give you a real flavour for the multiculturalism that is Vancouver. You can also walk to lots of things and there are busses that run right on by.

If you are looking for other well-located budget options, you may want to check out the Century Plaza on Burrard Street, the Residence Inn on Hornby, the Coast Plaza Suites, the Holiday Inn Downtown and maybe see if you can get a deal at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Georgia. There is another Holiday Inn called "Vancouver Centre" I think which is in an ok area but not downtown.

You can also sometimes get a good deal at the Carmana Plaza, which is a condo/hotel located right in the middle of things downtown, with kitchens and balconies. I lived there for a couple of weeks when I first moved to Vancouver and I now have everyone I know staying there. No one knows about it but I highly recommend it. (www.carmanaplaza.com)

Skip City Hall. Skip the Sandman.

As a rule of thumb, you always want to stay west in Vancouver - not east. For hotels, you should try and stay west of Granville Street. You should also avoid Gastown. Hotels that say "walk to gastown and chinatown" are probably not a good idea since they will be further east.

I hope that helps and that you enjoy your time in Vancouver. If you have any more specific places you want feedback on, just post!

Meesthare Mar 16th, 2004 05:48 AM

I've stayed at the Landmark numerous times. Unless it's changed in the last year or two, it's quite nice. You can walk to English Bay from there, and the area is in fact quite safe. Having said that, I'd be careful about leaving anything in the car in the hotel parking lot. Our rental car was broken into once; there was nothing in it to steal, but they broke the windows and the locks. I think they've improved security since then but the garage is open to the street. The hotel is at the top of a very steep hill, which is nice for the views but can be slightly daunting if you're tired at the end of a long day!
Just about a block away is the Robson Street Market, which is GREAT for breakfast and good for picking up snacks and other meals. It's neat just to walk around there. The rooms at the hotel have refrigerators so you can keep drinks, fruit, etc. We found the location very convenient and very safe. The scariest thing that ever happened (not counting the car thing, but that didn't really scare us) was the time we were walking past the Safeway parking lot and saw a skunk drinking placidly out of a rain puddle.

itravelsome Mar 16th, 2004 04:25 PM

Thanks, Meesthare. That's helpful. I'll be sure to buy the insurance with the rental car.:-) And thank you also Cat123. You really seem to know your town.

If you remember, was parking overly expensive (more than $10 US)? Reply with Canadian sums, if that helps, and I'll do the math.:-)

Meesthare Mar 16th, 2004 07:58 PM

Sorry, Itravelsome, but I can't remember. I assume you're referring to hotel parking- ?? Actually I'm leaving for Vancouver tomorrow morning so I can find out, or perhaps it's on their website.

itravelsome Mar 17th, 2004 01:51 AM

Thanks Meesthare, but it's on the website. I just don't know what to believe on the websites anymore.

It says around $10 a day.

Meesthare Mar 17th, 2004 05:02 AM

That actually sounds reasonable, but as I said, I don't remember exactly what it cost.
I'm heading to the airport right now! Hope you have a good trip, Itravelsome, and that you enjoy your visit to Vancouver. :)

Maudy Mar 18th, 2004 03:32 PM

ive stayed there a few times and liked it a lot, especially the higher floors facing sw with city and ocean views, they have balconies as well. rooms are not too big, but view makes up for it. i havent stayed there in over a year but have walked by it and they have done a renovation in the last year. it is excellent location as mentioned though.

itravelsome Mar 20th, 2004 01:09 AM

Thanks for the contribution, Maudy. I think that's where I'll stay. Thanks everyone else, as well.

Now, I just hope the weather is nice!

Mesthare Mar 20th, 2004 06:46 AM

Itravelsome, don't even believe any dire weather forecasts you might read! I'm in Vancouver now (had to slightly alter my screen name because somehow Fodors doesn't recognize me when I'm writing from my laptop) and rain has been predicted every single day. It rained a tiny bit yesterday and the day before, but generally it's been sunny and pleasant. They even predicted hail for Thursday evening but it was dry and not all that cold. Bring a raincoat, just in case, and you'll be fine.

itravelsome Mar 22nd, 2004 03:49 PM

Thanks, Mesthare. I did see the forecasts on the the Web and all of the pictures looked the same--clouds w/droplets of rain. I pretty much figured that I'd encounter that kind of weather, Vancouver being in the Pac. NW and all.

It's just good to know that it will be sunny and pleasant at least some of the time. Anyway, I get that for the better part of the year where I'm from, so a change of scenery would be nice.

Peace