Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Drumheller to Canmore (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/drumheller-to-canmore-587087/)

mdod Jan 31st, 2006 06:46 PM

Drumheller to Canmore

I'm still trying to fit a trip to the Royal Tyrrell Museum but I don't think I want to go from there to Jasper through Rocky Mountain House because getting there will take up a major part of the day. I read in an old post that you can drive from Drumheller to Canmore in 2 hours. Do you think that is still a reasonable estimate, especially during Victoria Day weekend?

Our flight arrives in Calgary on Friday, May 19th at 2:34 PM. I would love to head to Tyrrell from the airport and then head out to Kananaskis the next morning after checking out the Dinosaur Trail early in the AM. Unfortunately, the museum starts it's extended hours to 9:00 PM the day AFTER we arrive-argh! Our flight is on frequent flyer miles so I am considering moving both flights back a day. That would have us arriving in Calgary at 2:24 Sat, May 20.

Leaving the flight as is, I was thinking about heading for Drumheller from the airport, seeing the sites around the Dinosaur Trail Fri afternoon/evening, heading to the museum when it opens at 9:00 AM on Sat and then driving to Kananaskis whenever we get done at the museum.

Any thoughts either way?

Thanks,
Marcia

Judy_in_Calgary Jan 31st, 2006 09:13 PM

>>>>>>I read in an old post that you can drive from Drumheller to Canmore in 2 hours. Do you think that is still a reasonable estimate, especially during Victoria Day weekend?<<<<<<

My best guess is 2.75 hours.

>>>>>>Leaving the flight as is, I was thinking about heading for Drumheller from the airport, seeing the sites around the Dinosaur Trail Fri afternoon/evening, heading to the museum when it opens at 9:00 AM on Sat and then driving to Kananaskis whenever we get done at the museum.<<<<<<

Yes, I think that would work well.

It takes about 2 hours to go through the museum, so figure on leaving it at 11.00 a.m.

If you drive Drumheller - Beiseker - Airdrie - Cochrane, you would bypass Calgary.

You'd get to Cochrane around 1.00 p.m. That is quite a nice town in which to stop for lunch.

After lunch continue to Kananaskis Country (the turn off to it is before Canmore).

Molly2 Feb 1st, 2006 04:52 AM

It took my family considerably longer to visit the museum than two hours, largely because it was extremely crowded, but also because it is a large museum, and we were interested senough to linger at the exhibits. Add in lunch...

However, we visited in the summer. Judy, do you think May vs June or July makes a big difference in terms of crowds?

Judy_in_Calgary Feb 1st, 2006 04:59 AM

>>>>>>Judy, do you think May vs June or July makes a big difference in terms of crowds?<<<<<<

Yes Molly2, it makes, a <b>huge</b>, <b>huge</b> difference.

Also, the 2-hour estimate that I gave marcia (mdod) excluded lunch.

Judy_in_Calgary Feb 1st, 2006 05:01 AM

Further to Molly2's point about the Tyrrell Museum being busy in July and August ......

If you are visiting during those busy months, try to visit the museum Monday through Thursday, when it's not quite so full. If you must visit on its busiest days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), try to get there as soon as the doors open at 9.00 a.m. or else go through between 6.00 p.m. and 9.00 p.m.

Again, these suggestions are for July / August.

bob_brown Feb 1st, 2006 02:13 PM

Two hours for the Tyrrell Museum?
I will be quite blunt. Why go?

mdod Feb 1st, 2006 03:15 PM

I'm not tied to 2 hours. I'm planning on going first thing in the morning and staying as long as we want.
Marcia