Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Drumheller museum and park (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/drumheller-museum-and-park-229734/)

anna Jun 10th, 2002 08:06 AM

Drumheller museum and park

Hello,<BR><BR>I am a bit confused by the Royal Tyrrell Museum and Dinosaur Provincial Park. These places are 2 hours apart. We are a family with two kids aged 10 and 12. At first we were going to go to the museum only and also book a full day Dino dig there. However, the cost is high - $90/adult and $60/kid. It then seemed that this was too long an adventure for the kids from 8:30 to 4 p.m. Does anyone have any feedback on this full day dig?<BR><BR>Next, we are now thinking of going to the museum on day 1 and taking the Dinomite hike into their badlands for about 2 hours. Also, we plan to drive the dinosaur loop which includes the Bleriot ferry, etc. Also plan on doing the hoodoo trail Has anyone done any of these? I'd appreciate comments.<BR><BR>Then we plan to spend day 2 in the Dino Provincial Park near Brooks. They have tours there but you can only sign up for one per day, so now we don't know whether we should take the bus tour of their badlands or the fossil safari trek for 2 hours to a fossil bone bed site. <BR><BR>Has anyone gone and toured these two places? Where is the scenery better? The museum tour goes on a hike to a fossil bed so I am thinking that we should take the bus tour in the provincial park. Or is the fossil bed tour in the Park better? <BR><BR>Where will the kids be more excited by seeing fossils? Should we do the full day dig at the museum or just the shorter tours? Where is the scenery better?<BR><BR>Thanks

Gary Jun 10th, 2002 08:39 AM

In a nutshell - th area north of Brooks is much more stark and desert like with endless hoodoos but the museum in Drumheller is much more educational. If you can do both - great - but otherwise just do Drumheller.

Dino Jun 11th, 2002 10:42 AM

The Tyrrell Museum is quite something to see...don't miss it!

jim Jun 14th, 2002 08:43 PM

The Tyrell museum is an absoulute must. You need about three hours to see it. Rent the headset guides (about $4.00) at the front desk- it gives you a fascinating tour of the museum in chronological order and points out tons of things you would probably miss on your own. Well worth the money.<BR>I have not done one of the all day camps you mentioned, but friends have and highly recommend them. I think your kids are probably the perfect age. Apparently the staff are very good at keeping them occupied in a fun way.<BR>The dinosaur trail is well worth doing and only takes a couple of hours. Stop at the scenic viewpoints along the way. You get some fantastic panoramas you miss from the highway- you have to stop and get out.<BR>The other side of Drumheller has the Hoodoos and "badlands". Fascinating to see. There is an old mining town on the way (cant remember the name, but its well marked) that has a really neat old supsension bridge accross the river that leads to the abandoned mine. The kids loved it.<BR>As far as dinosaur park goes, I cant say, never been there. It is far from Drumheller, and Drumheller has plenty to keep a family occupied for a coule of days, so I never bothered.

DS Jun 16th, 2002 05:40 AM

While in Drumheller, don't miss the Reptile Museum (don't remember the exact name). It is just fabulous and your kids will love it. You can get to hold the critters and even have a snake put around ur neck.. I think I will remember that as long as I live!!!! <BR><BR>have a great trip.