Drugs in Montreal

Aug 15th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Natasha

Drugs in Montreal

I am traveling to Montreal next week with my husband and children, and I was told by a friend that there is alot of drugs floating around and being sold on the streets. What section of the city is this in and how can I stay away from it?

Aug 15th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Joan

As someone who travels on business to Montreal every second week, I would suggest you will have NO trouble avoiding the problem because unless you go looking for it, as in any other city in North America, it won't bother you. Old Montreal, St Catherine St and the charming side streets which run off it up to Sherbrooke, like Peel, are all hangouts for tourists and locals and while an occasional drug deal may also go down there, it is highly unlikely you would even be aware.

Aug 15th, 2001, 10:46 AM
oh

Butterfly,
No one in Montreal is going to come up to you and inject you are make you take drugs! Montreal is a big city with associating problems. Any drug problem there is much less than in any major American city and Montreal is MUCH safer in general. Have you never been to city before?

Aug 15th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Natasha

Well, I am sorry if my question sounded stupid, but I was just curious. I have been to the city before but I was told that drugs were highly prevalent in Montreal. My friend said she was propisitioned several times to buy drugs on the street, maybe she was just somwhere she shouldn't have been.

Aug 15th, 2001, 12:22 PM
kurious

Natasha,
Where was she in Montreal when she was propositioned several times to buy drugs?

Aug 15th, 2001, 05:35 PM
mimi taylor

Natasha,I have seen more drugs here in Boston than in Montreal and my first day visiting San Fransisco, I was approached on the street by some guy asking if I wanted to share his grass. Now-that hasn't happened to me in Boston! Don"t worry ,like any city, you don't venture into unknown or notorious areas.

Aug 16th, 2001, 08:37 AM
dougD

Natasha, my wife and I visit Montreal several times a year, and have walked nearly all of the downtown, latin quarter, Mt. Royal, and many other neighborhoods. I have never seen anything resembling a street drug scene, as in parts of New York or other inner cities. I imagine someone who's on the prowl for drugs can probably find them fairly easily if they know where to go, just like in any city. That being said, the area around the intersection of St. Catherine and St. Laurent is a little seedy at night, and St. Laurent can be packed with college age kids out for a good time. I've also seen kids smoking funny smelling cigarettes in Square St. Louis at night (this is also one of Montreal's most beautiful neighborhoods). Don't let this stop you from enjoying these areas, as I find them perfectly safe, despite the party atmosphere that often takes over late at night.

Aug 17th, 2001, 10:08 AM

High Times magazine jaust ranked the top 10 cities for pot. Montreal made the list. Didn't really get into locations, but here's the article link:
http://www.hightimes.com/magazine/20...9/article1.tpl

Aug 17th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Jeff

Montreal is not at all dangerous. Of course, like in any city, there are drugs in montreal but I really would not worry about beeing solicited.

To see what Montreal and Quebec have to offer you should visit :

http://travel.bonjourquebec.com