Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   driving trip - Canadian Rockies; Vancouver to Edmonton (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/driving-trip-canadian-rockies-vancouver-to-edmonton-719256/)

gm89tor Jul 8th, 2007 07:16 PM

driving trip - Canadian Rockies; Vancouver to Edmonton

http://wwWe are a family of 2 adult and 2 children (13 and 10 years) who are planning to drive from Vancouver-Whistler-Jasper-Edmonton from August 21 to 26 (5 nights). Our flight leaves Edmonton on Aug 27 around 5pm. We plan to stay in Vancouver for 2 to 3 days then head to Whistler-Jasper-Edmonton.

Google maps provided the route from Vancouver-Squamish-Whistler-Pemberton-Liloleet-Cache Creek-Kamloops-Salmon Arm- Revelstoke-Golden-Lake Louise-Jasper-Edmonton as about 910 km and 12 hours to drive. Any advice on whether 12 hours is the actual driving time? I'm also looking for advice on what to do after leaving Vancouver. We were thinking of staying in Whistler, Jasper and Edmonton for a day each. Any suggestions for key places to visit or activities to do, and places to stay for a family with kids?

Judy_in_Calgary Jul 8th, 2007 09:30 PM

>>>>>>Google maps provided the route from Vancouver-Squamish-Whistler-Pemberton-Liloleet-Cache Creek-Kamloops-Salmon Arm- Revelstoke-Golden-Lake Louise-Jasper-Edmonton as about 910 km and 12 hours to drive. Any advice on whether 12 hours is the actual driving time?<<<<<<

I'm too lazy to do an enquiry on one of the mapping websites, but there is no way that it's as little as 12 hours.

I suggest you do the calculation again. I find that my actual driving times are fairly close to those of Map Quest ( www.mapquest.com ). Some people find Map Quest's estimates slower than their actual driving times. But, since I'm a cautious driver, my driving times might be relatively close to those of a person who is unfamiliar with the route. But don't take too much heart from that and assume that ANYONE -- even Speedy Gonzales himself -- can do the route you've laid out in 12 hours.

You could think of doing this itinerary:

Aug 21 - Drive to Whistler. Do Ziptrek Ecotour. Overnight in Whistler.

Aug 22 - Drive to Kamloops and then Revelstoke. Consider spending the night at Three Valley Gap, near Revelstoke.

Aug 23 - Drive to Lake Louise and spend the night there. During today's journey, do detours to see Emerald Lake, Takakkaw Falls, Moraine Lake and the lake of Lake Louise (3 miles from the village of Lake Louise).

Places to stay:

* Baker Creek Chalets (nice)

* Paradise Lodge and Bungalows (nice)

* Mountaineer Lodge (about same standard as Holiday Inn)

* Lake Louise Inn (down a notch from Mountaineer Lodge)

Aug 24 - Drive the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. Minimal stops include Peyto Lake, Columbia Icefields, Sunwapta Falls and Athabasca Falls. Overnight in Jasper.

Places to stay:

* Alpine Village

* Becker's Chalets

* Jasper House Bungalows

* Patricia Lake Bungalows

* Pine Bungalows

* Pyramid Lake Resort

You also could consider staying in private home accommodation. That's kind of like a B&B without breakfast (but many PHAs include kitchens).

Aug 25 - From your Jasper base, visit Maligne Canyon and Maligne Lake, and ride the tram up Whistlers Mountain. Overnight in Jasper again.

Aug 26 - Drive to Edmonton in the morning. If you don't do any detours, it'll take you between 3.5 hours and 4 hours.

However, you could do a detour to visit Miette Hot Springs before you leave Jasper National Park. The turn off to it is on the Yellowhead Highway (Hwy #16), which leads to Edmonton.

Use whatever time remains to sight see in Edmonton.

Aug 27 - You can do more sight seeing in Edmonton in the morning and early afternoon.

These days they're recommending that pasengers check in for international flights 2.5 hours before departure.

Sorry, I am not familiar with hotels in Edmonton. We usually stay with friends when we go there.

krp329 Jul 10th, 2007 10:39 AM

From Kamloops, it is a little quicker to get to Jasper via highways 5 and 16, as in Kamloops, Clearwater, Mt. Robson, Jasper. It's five hours from Kamloops to Jasper via this route, and it is scenic. However, the other route includes the Icefield Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper, which is probably one of the most beautiful drives on the planet, so you may wish to take that route if you have not already seen it.