Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Driving from Vancouver to Tofino on Labour Day (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/driving-from-vancouver-to-tofino-on-labour-day-1047888/)

topeater Jun 12th, 2015 08:23 AM

Driving from Vancouver to Tofino on Labour Day

I'm in the midst of planning our first trip to this area in September. I had planned on driving from Vancouver to Tofino to spend 3-4 nights. Today I realized we planned on driving on Labour Day. Will the traffic be awful because of the holiday? Should I spend another day in Vancouver and only 2-3 in Tofino? If I do that, I may have to skip a night in Victoria. Pleas help!

ltt Jun 12th, 2015 09:48 AM

i'd stick to your original plan. make a reservation on a early morning ferry so you are out of vancouver before it gets too busy.

traveller69 Jun 12th, 2015 10:29 AM

I agree with Itt. Once you get to the Island you will basically be going against the traffic as everyone will be returning home.

topeater Jun 12th, 2015 12:52 PM

I didn't think the ferries took reservations for walk ons? Also, which ferry should we leave from?

topeater Jun 12th, 2015 01:06 PM

Sorry about the above question. While we were waiting for a reply, we looked at another plan to prevent us from having to drop the car off at a different destination.

We are thinking about catching the ferry to Departure Bay and renting a car there, driving to Tofino. After 4 days, we'll drive back and drop it off there and catch Air Canada back to Seattle (that's where we are flying from & tickets have been bought).

Thoughts? I know we would miss Victoria, but we were there years and years ago. I think after Vancouver and the spectacular scenery around Tofino, that we could miss a smaller city.

traveller69 Jun 12th, 2015 08:50 PM

That would work. Do you mean you already have tickets from Nanaimo or were you referring to flying out of Seattle. If not I think you would enjoy a day in Victoria if it has been years and years since you were there and fly to Seattle from there. You could still pick up a car in Nanaimo and return it to Victoria. (its not small anymore!)

topeater Jun 13th, 2015 05:34 AM

Yes, we already have tickets to fly home from Seattle. We were trying to avoid the extra charge for dropping off the car in different cities.

mdinbc Jun 17th, 2015 02:59 PM

I think that is too long of a stay for Tofino, unless you have tours or fishing booked. Perhaps spend a day in Parksville/Qualicum area before you head to Tofino. The east side of the island also has beautiful beaches and lot to see and do. The weather is often much nicer on the east side as well.

Francewithfive Jun 22nd, 2015 03:31 PM

3 nights in Tofino is perfect. It's a pretty long trip with the ferry and then the drive so you will want to really enjoy the west coast of Van Island. There is so much to do if you are active. Amazing beach walks, rent bikes, trips to hot springs, great food, and even some surfing. The weather should be really nice so you can enjoy some relaxing beach time. I was born in Vancouver and Tofino is one of my fave places ANYWHERE. It is a long drive from Tofino to Victoria so you have to decide how much time you want to spend traveling vs. enjoying! I agree you could probably miss Victoria if you have already done Vancouver on the same trip.