Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   driving from Niagara Falls to Toronto during morning rush hour (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/driving-from-niagara-falls-to-toronto-during-morning-rush-hour-213337/)

Dave May 4th, 2002 04:12 AM

driving from Niagara Falls to Toronto during morning rush hour

We'll drive from Niagara Falls to Scarborough during the morning rush hour the day after Victoria Day. We have to drop off our friend. So we cannot be flexible on the time. We know we have to be struck in some rush hour traffic. We'll appreciate any advice on the best route to take to avoid as much traffic as possible. Thanks.

Cindy May 4th, 2002 05:19 AM

The whole drive will take a couple of hours, so I don't think it will ALL be rush-hour traffic. My advice would be to set out as early as possible, and avoid the eastbound Queen Elizabeth Highway between, let's say, Milton and Toronto between 7:45 and 8:30 AM if you possibly can. I'm not sure there are a lot of alternatives in terms of route. I work in the west end of Toronto and my colleagues who drive in from Mississauga have tried all kinds of alternatives to the highway, and none of them are great at that hour.

Brian ilgore May 4th, 2002 08:40 AM

It willhelp you to know where in Scarborough you are dropping your friend.<BR>If it's near thelake, staysouth.<BR><BR>If it's in northern Scarborough, go north before you get to Toronto.<BR><BR>To go north, take highway 403 when you get to the Ford truck plant in Oakville, which will take you to highway 401, and then continue east across the top of Toronto.<BR><BR>It will be worst near the Toronto airport, but, for what comfort this brings you, remember that most of the people in traffic are there everyday, and for you it's just a speacil treat.<BR><BR>If you are dropping your friend in southern Scarboro, nearer the lake, just stay on the Queen Elizabeth Way until the edge of Toronto, where it turns into the Gardiner Expressway, and follow it across the bottom of the city untilit ends, then follow the curve at the end, north a block or two until yuou pass Queen Street East and then continue north to Kingston Road. Turn right and keep going to Scarborough.<BR><BR>BAK

Susan May 4th, 2002 09:48 AM

Why not take the train? It leaves St. Catharines around 6:45 AM. Your friend can prob. pick it up in Niagara Falls.<BR>Then he/she can pick up a connection @ Union Station to Scarborough. Call VIA for schedule.

Bonnie May 4th, 2002 01:46 PM

The fastest way will be to pick up the 407 east (toll road) near Hamilton and take it to the 403 in Missiauga and then the 401 east. Stay to the right before you get to the 401 (it actually says 410 but then also splits right to the 401 east). I'm assuming you need to be in the northern part of Scarborough.

Dave May 4th, 2002 04:21 PM

Thank you for all your advice. Actually my friend live a couple of blocks north of Sheppard Ave. I appreciate all your help. This is my second posting on this board. Each time I received many helpful advice from all of you. Thanks again.

bert May 12th, 2002 07:48 AM

Dave; Hope you check in here again. I live in this area and drive the route you describe frequently and if you follow some of the directions you have been given, it will not make for a pleasant drive. <BR><BR>Your best bet is to pick up the 407 toll road just after you cross the Skyway Bridge in Burlington. See Maple Ave. on map. You can take it all the way to the exit nearest your destination on Shepherd. It will cost a few $ and I can't guarantee that there won't be heavy traffic, but it will most certainly be vastly better than either the QEW going through Oakville, or the 401 near the airport. Click on the interactive map and you can find your enter and exit points. Safe driving!<BR>http://www.407etr.com/html/map.html

Dave May 13th, 2002 01:54 PM

Bert, Thank you for your advice. I was thinking of using the toll road. Before I pose that question on this board, you answered my question. <BR><BR>We will appreciate any advice on which radio station to listen to for current traffic condition. Thanks.

bert May 13th, 2002 06:08 PM

My personal favourites for current traffic reports are 680 CFTR or 1010 CFRB in the TO area. You should be able to pick either up as you near Burlington. Safe travelling.

Dave May 13th, 2002 06:16 PM

Bert, Thanks again for your help.

Dave May 13th, 2002 07:10 PM

Bert, I went to the 407 web page. I do not have a transponder. Do they have manual toll collector at the Exit? Thanks for your help.

bert May 14th, 2002 02:11 AM

Without a transponder they add $2.65 per trip to your bill. I used the toll calculator on site, and as an example if you were to enter at the QEW /403 junction (Maple Ave) and exit at Kennedy Rd. the cost would be 11.5¢ per km, plus the $2.65 non transponder fee. Total $ 10.24. No toll booths. Cameras snap a pic of your license plate and the registered owner of the vehicle will receive a bill in the mail usually around the end of the month. You can either mail a cheque or call the toll free number to use a ccard. Tolls are higher than most interstates in the US, but it's still the most stressfree route across the top of the city on a week day.

Dave May 14th, 2002 01:33 PM

Bert, Thanks again for the info.