Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Driving from NH to Nova Scotia (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/driving-from-nh-to-nova-scotia-468772/)

Kerri33 Aug 21st, 2004 04:15 AM

Driving from NH to Nova Scotia

Message: We are driving from NH to Nova Scotia, with at least two destinations in mind: Halifax area and Cape Breton. Our trip will be between 7-9 days.

Many have recommended the ferries, but to save money, we need to drive. Any recommendations on where to stop in New Brunskwick as a stopping point the first night?

Also, any recommendations on B&Bs in this area?

Thanks,
Kerri

laverendrye Aug 21st, 2004 09:55 AM

I suggest that you stop in St. Andrews New Brunswick. It has lots of inns and B&Bs in every price range, and is a most attractive town. We've enjoyed the Harris Hatch Inn there.

stringer Aug 23rd, 2004 11:56 AM

Since you are so far north in New England, you can easily make it into Nova Scotia without much of a stretch if you leave early and drive on into the afternoon. With deference to the other responder, stopping in St. Andrews, just over the border from Maine, will use up your first full day and put you just that far south the second day. The vehicle crossing is at or near Sackville, which is a ways up the coast.
Another possibility is to call (or go to its website) Fundy National Park, which has cabins to rent. The park is quite lovely and not too far from the border with NS. You can go to Hopewell Rocks to view the Fundy tides. There will probably be links to nearby accomodations on the webiste.

Brandon77 Oct 4th, 2004 10:03 AM

Sounds like you have a fun trip planned. My wife and I just got back from a similar trip. We flew to Manchester, NH and worked our way up through Maine and then into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia from there. If you are driving, you may want to consider taking I-95 to Bangor then take US 1 "down" the Maine coast over to Lubec ( a beautiful area, and also the Easternmost point in the US). My wife and I are lighthouse junkies so we wanted to see the West Quoddy Head lighthouse in Lubec. From there, you can cross the border onto Campobello Island, New Brunswick and take a small passenger/car ferry (US $13 for a car and two adults) to Deer Island where you will catch another ferry (this one is operated by New Brunswick and is also free) This will take you to the NB mainland where it is only about an hour or so by multi-lane highway to Saint John. Saint John is a beautiful city. We only spent one night there, but we found it to be very nice, and not at all what we had read online. We stayed at a wonderful B&B in a restored Victorian era house that is called Mahogany Manor. I would highly recommend it. The breakfast there was incredible. I have never enjoyed a plate of pancakes so much in my life!!
I do know they have a web site with all kinds of information about the place. Go to any search engine such as google.com, or yahoo.com and you should find it there.

I forgot to mention that the border crossing at Campobello Island was VERY quick. We crossed in no time at all, and there were no cars ahead of us, and none behind. It was very easy to cross the border. Also, the ferries I mentioned run regularly throughout the day (about 1 or two times per hour) and are timed so that you can get off the first and make it to the second crossing before it leaves. Both crossings are about 20-30 minutes each, but are well worth it because the scenery is great and you have a chance to get out of the car and stretch your legs, and you can avoid some driving distance. Just make sure you top off your gas tank before crossing the border. Gas in Canada is considerably more expensive than ours here in the US.
Hope you enjoy your travels!