Driving across the country in the dead of winter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just taken a job in Victoria and was weighing my options for getting me and all my things there from Ottawa.

I would be setting off my '99 Cherokee 4l, 235k, has barely ever failed me to date, 4x4, winter tires in 60% condition, handsome. I would want to do it in the 5 day range, alone, stopping only to sleep.

I have calculated what it will cost in fuel, motels, food etc... Its slightly more than flying and shipping alternative other than time. What I cant calculate is how much it will cost if my road warrior quits on me in the middle of nowhere. If so (and catastrophic as far as repairs) I would be left carrying through with the original alternative, loading my possessions on a Greyhound and flying, that would double my costs...

Considering I dont necessarily need my vehicle out there, is it completely irrational to take on such an adventure considering the time, the roads, and the potential for failure...?

Im now leaning towards flying and not particularly excited about leaving my vehicle behind, it will leave me with a sense of nakedness. But if the advice is that the cross canada voyage, even in winter is not that much of a liability to a vehicle if i keep in the 100k an hour range, I may go for it... Any advice is appreciated.

Im torn, thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Well if you're going 100k and hit black ice, you'll be in the ditch. For interest sake, just last weekend the No. 1 highway was closed for a couple of days east of Calgary due to blowing snow. People (yes even those in 4x4's) were stuck in snow banks until they could be dug out. The decision is totally up to you but I would think about taking more than 5 days for the journey.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM

DON'T DO IT !!!
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM

In the early decades of owning my business, I drove 3x per yr from T.O. to Victoria and then visited customers in every major and medium city all the way home. One year I did go late as October and I hit some hairy areas in the high mountains. Once, the road was blocked at a hairpin turn as a full truck load of new Mazdas had gone over a 400 ft cliff and rolled down further into a river. This brought home a warning a friend had given me - who lived in interior BC for a few years - that you may be a good, experienced winter driver w/every prep., but there is nothing you can do about a logging truck coming sideways down the mountainside. If you do it, decide in advance to wait out weather in the critical zones & once you are past them, you will be fine.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

some wise words guys, thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
BAK

Remember, in the winter all Canadians west of Toronto park their cars and get out dog sleds until May.

No, wait, that's what scardy cats think.

It's nice to have a car in Victoria.

Do we think the shipping you refer to covers the cost of shipping the Jeep, or just shipping your household stuff?

If I was doing this in the winter, I'd consider going through the USA.

I'd buy a new battery, or make sure my current battery is in excellent shape.

I'd join CAA.

I'd listen to the radio a lot, rather than CDs, so I'd know when to sit out a storm in a motel on the outskirts of some city.

I'd never drive with less than half a tank of gas, unless it was warm and sunny.

I'd have some bottles of water and a sleeping bag and some non-perishable food in the Jeep. And a cell phone charger.

None of the above is a big deal.

I've lived in Calgary and Edmonton, and driven back and forth from those cities to Regina and Winnipeg and Saskatoon and Vancouver in the winter in a Gremlin and two Volvos and I'm still alive.

The real key is paying attention to the weather and if the forecast is lousy, stay somewhere for an extra day.

I've also spent months in Vancouver - Seattle with a Cherokee in spring, summer and fall, and there's lots of places to go and things to do, and you get a nice view from up high in a 4x4.

Oh, and about being stranded near Strathmore -- the week before people were stranded near Sarnia.

BAK
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Well, these are the current road closures for the Banff area:

<i>The extreme risk of more avalanches has closed the TransCanada Highway in the high mountain pass west of Lake Louise until at least Wednesday.

The Alberta Motor Association advises Highway 1 from Lake Louise West Lodge to the west boundary of Yoho National Park will stay closed until at least Jan. 19.

In addition, Highway 1 from Golden, west for 17 kilometres, will remain closed until at least Jan.19.

Other highways affected by snow conditions:

- Highway 93, from the Castle Mountain Junction south to Radium, in both directions has been closed due to avalanche hazards.

- Highway 93, between Lake Louise and the Saskatchewan River Crossing, remains closed until sometime Monday.

- Highway 93 from Jasper to the Saskatchewan River Crossing is open, but in poor winter driving condition.
</i>
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Tr...#ixzz1BKGqqUh4
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Players, The question is why do you want to do this? It's not to save money. It's not so you will have a car when you get there. I'm puzzled. Why? Just to say you did it?

I would fly without hesitation. I would ship my stuff.....or, maybe I wouldn't even do that. I might just buy new stuff when I get there.

Congrats on the new job!

Ocean
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM

I moved from Vancouver to Ottawa several years ago and had my car shipped by train. Costs about $1,000.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 11:04 AM

Winter trip cross country. No way! There are spots on Hwy 1 where you can be stuck for long times.. Once out in Saskatchewan the wind blows the snow over the highway and you can barely see. I don't think I would ever choose to do it in the winter. Now summer would be a different story! Lovely drive.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:55 AM

I have driven across the country several times in all different weather conditions. THe secret to staying alive is to NOT DRIVE when the conditions are really bad (heavy snow, blowing snow, colder than -30C), and to only travel during the day and get plenty of sleep.

It can be done in 5 days or less in the summer, but allow for some bad weather or road closure days int he winter. Even if you think the conditions are good enough to drive, you may find that you are going slower than you expected and this is OK if you allow the time for it.

The most dangerous stretches are between Kenora (just inside the Ontario border) and Thunder Bay, and between THunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie. THe roads after Kenora are a two-lane twisty highway cut into the Canadian sheild, and there are a few places after Thunder Bay where you can go hundreds of kms without seeing a town.

THe 'upper highway' (hwy 11 from Nipigon to North Bay is actually a better, safer, and slightly shorter road except the distances between towns can be more than on the 'lower highway' (highway 17 from Nipigon to North Bay).

Trying to drive all the way from Thunder Bay to Ottawa in one day looks good on paper but really should be done in two days