Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Drive time Nanaimo - Victoria? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/drive-time-nanaimo-victoria-223067/)

Catherine May 21st, 2002 06:53 AM

Drive time Nanaimo - Victoria?

Can anyone tell me how long a drive it is from Nanaimo to Victoria? <BR>I am wondering if we should spend one or two nights in Victoria as we have so much elsewhere on Vancouver Island we want to see. <BR>Or, can we see Victoria in a few day trips, returning "home" in Nanaimo each night? <BR>Bearing in mind we have three kids with us.<BR>Please don't bad-talk Nanaimo, my mother lives in a very pretty area :)<BR>

Cindy May 21st, 2002 07:09 AM

I'd allow a couple of hours, depending on traffic, time of day, highway construction, etc.

April May 21st, 2002 09:33 AM

Yes, I usually allow 2 hours. So with 4 hours travel time both ways, especially with three kids, I would rather stay in Victoria overnight.

Robyn May 21st, 2002 09:44 AM

Catherine, about your last comment about people bad-talking Nanaimo... I seem to remember that one post where somebody asked if they should be staying in Tofino or Nanaimo, but their question came across like, "should I be spending my TIME in Tofino, or Nanaimo". Nanaimo's pretty and a good place to live, but as a tourist *destination* - there are better places on Vancouver Island. I think that's why people were bad-mouthing Nanaimo. Not because it's a bad place, but they were trying to let the original poster know that there were better places to focus on.<BR><BR>In the end, the original poster just wanted to know if Nanaimo was okay for a "home-base", lol... so the whole post was taken out of context.<BR><BR>But nobody hates Nanaimo. ;) So I don't think you'll get people bad-mouthing the place.<BR><BR>As for Nanaimo-Victoria... I agree on spending one night there, but if your children were anything like me and my sister in the car (ie: we'd either be sleeping or playing car bingo games), I don't think a 2 hour drive one way will hurt TOO much... as long as you get out of the car after an hour, in Chemainus or Duncan, or somewhere along the beach. ;)

Catherine May 21st, 2002 02:26 PM

Thanks everyone.<BR>We've decided to spend the night so we're not too tired.<BR>

April May 21st, 2002 08:57 PM

You and your sister were better kids than we were, Robyn. My sister and I spent most of our time kicking each other in the back seat.

Deirdre May 26th, 2002 12:17 AM

Catherine:<BR><BR>Just to add my two cents worth, I'm from Nanaimo and like it just fine! Victoria is a lovely place and worth at least a few days touring around. Hope the weather is good for your trip. Lots of fun things for the kids there. I wouldn't drive back and forth either. Cuts the day too short.

Joan May 27th, 2002 05:57 PM

Please take time to stop in Chemainus and let the kids see all the paintings on the buildings. Simply fantasic. We were so impressed. There is a short foot tour you can take or you can drive around town. Stop at the visitors center. It doesn't take long to tour this little town. There is also ice cream....:)

Catherine May 28th, 2002 04:52 AM

Thanks Joan,<BR>I was planning on doing that, they look interesting.

Ruthie May 29th, 2002 03:05 PM

If you're going with kids, try and make a trip to Parksville/Qualicum Beach. Great beaches, shallow water so the kids can wade, build sand castles and collect sand dollars. It's beautiful up there... and just north of Nanaimo.

Jason Jun 9th, 2002 07:38 PM

No, you cannot drive to Vic-Nan every day. The drive can be 1.5 to 2 hours. You should arrive in Victoria ealry in the morning... and spend that entire day there..check in as early as possible..check out the sites until late...check out in the morning and spend that Day in Victoria and depart for Naniomo at about 7-8 pm....you will be home for a late dinner with mom...get up in the morning and drive to Tofino as you have a 2 hour headstart vs Victoria...

Catherine Jun 10th, 2002 02:18 AM

Sounds like a good plan, thanks. I'll also check out Parsville/Qualicum although we live very near a beach.