Drive from Victoria to Nanaimo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from Victoria to Nanaimo in early October. What are the attractions along the way? I hear there is a steep part of the highway, is it hard to drive?
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:33 AM

I've driven this route several times (most recently in July) and don't recall any steep parts of the highway. Rolling, perhaps - even undulating - but nothing that struck me as steep.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM

I believe what you are referring to is the Malahat which is the section of road between just north of Victoria and Mill Bay. You drive over the mountain there which isn't really that steep. The road is a bit curvy but nothing major. The view from the outlook there is gorgeous and worth a stop to take a look. As far as attractions other than the scenery is a drive into Chemainus (just a mile or so off the highway and well marked). There a murals painted on the buildings there but other than that it is just another small town.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 02:15 PM

The drive from Victoria to Nanaimo is not a difficult drive by any stretch. I might ruffle some feathers with this, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit any of the towns between unless there was something really specific you wanted to see - the best part of that drive is the spectacular scenery along the way, not the towns. Speaking of which - if you want another great drive while in Nanaimo, the often overlooked old island highway between Parksville (just north of Nanaimo) and Courtenay is also beautiful - winds along the coast pretty much the entire way, about 2 hours.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM

There is a logging heritage center in Duncan that is interesting in addition to the other things mentioned.

I did this drive in reverse last April.

Chemanius also has a very good theater and you might want to consider seeing a production there.

I do agree that you will want to stop at the overlook north of Victoria for the view of the Saanich Penisula--especially if it is a clear day. It is a fantastic view.

The road is very easy to drive.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:06 PM

BikerScott...or anyone...
I keep hearing about the old highway.

Am wondering how much would it add to a drive between Victoria & Telegraph Cove area do you think?

And is your favorite stretch (or the *only*) stretch between the 2 towns you mention...Parksville & Courtenay?

Mentioned this to hubby...but he's concerned about slowing down our drive too much as don't want to arrive after dark into TC/Port McNeill area.
Impressions are that the road north of Campbell River might be prone to wildlife now & then...so would hate
to hit any, if driving too late.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Daydreamer - I'm not sure what the old Island highway is like past Courtenay (it only goes to Campbell River) - my parents live there so I've never really gone past...the new highway begins at Parksville and splits off there so the only bit I've driven is the Parksville -> Courtenay portion.
On the new highway, it takes about an hour to get from Parksville to Courtenay, on the old Island Highway it'll take about 2 hours, maybe a little more.
Per Google Maps, it'll take you about 7 hours to get from Victoria to Port McNeil on the new highway, so if you were to do the old highway between parksville & courtenay, add a few hours (to take into account stopping to enjoy the view). A full day either way.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks so much, Scott!