Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Drive from Toronto to Montreal - How Long

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one help on this? Want to drive from CT to Toronto then Toronto to Montreal then back to CT. Looks like a nice round trip. Have family in all cities. Would spend 2 1/2 days in Toronto, 1 in Montreal. Hopefully only 2 days driving. Any tips?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Dan0501

The drive from TO to MTL is about 6 hours long, without breaks.

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:13 AM

I drive between Montreal and Toronto all the time, and it only takes me 5 hours including 2 stops of 10-15 minutes... then again i go at least 20km over the limit the whole way, as most people do.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 04:13 AM
BAK

It sdepends on where you start and where you finish.

Downtown to downtown, driving responsibly and stopping to eat something and buy gas, takes the better part of sevenhours.

It's around 360 miles.

And if you are a tourist, it makes sense to get off of highway 401 just east of Kingston and travel on the Thousand Islands Parkway for half an hour or so, down by the St. Lawrence River. (it's easy, and there are signs)

If you can arrange the timing, try to avoid ariving at the west end of Montreal between 4:30 and 6. You can easily spend an hour just getting from Dorion (the first clean washrooms and coffee really, in Quebec, without going far off the highway) to downtown.

And, as far as leaving Toronto...after nine in the morning is usually much quicker than before nine.

And, you are right, it will be a nice round trip.

Depending where you are starting from, it's a long drive to Toronto (at least from New York City), but regardless of time, make sure you stop and see Niagara Falls.

KIngston has a beautiful downtown, a nice harbor, and makes a good place to stop for lunch. It's half-way between Toronto and Montreal.

And it'll be the better part of another day getting home from MOntreal,n'est-ce pas?, as they say in Montreal. So that's trhree driving days.

BAK
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for tips on the drive. I will likely follow the advice on the Canadian Part. Any suggestions of a place to stay in Montreal - 4 star but not at chain hotel?